• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CS Modification ? - Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenn568

I was divorced 7 years ago. I have primary physical custody of the kids. Ex pays $400/month via employer garnishment for 2 children. At the time of the divorce, he was making about $30K/yr. Support charts showed that he should pay approximatly $675, give or take, (total for both children) based on my very low income at the time. I agreed to 400/month trying to be compassionate and making sure he had enough money to establish a household, etc. Fast forward to present time. He is still at the same job that he had when our divorce was finalized (which was different from the lower-paying job he had when support was calculated), has remarried (as have I), and within the past 2 years he and his new wife have purchased a brand new $150,000 home and a $30,000 SUV - safe to say his attempt to reestablish a household have been successful. At this time, I would like to go for modification of CS just up to the court-recommended amount (even if it was the amount based on his income at the time, although he makes quite a bit more now). I have to add that for the most part, he has been faithful about visitation. The only disappointment has been in medical payments. He is responsible for half. A few years ago I presented him with bills/prescription receipts totalling almost $300...he gave me 20 bucks. With the garnishment, the CS has arrived on a timely manner each month. Our daughter is going to need braces, ds needs dental work (ex provides health insurance, but not dental) and the kids are also involved in activities which $200/each doesn't even begin to cover half.
My question is this: Do I have a valid reason to pursue modification? Secondly, what measures would need to be taken? The kids are 11 and 8, and I really don't want them to have any knowledge of this being as they have a good relationship with their father. I know he's going to be shocked and possibly resist (he was a cheapskate even when we were married...lol). I'm really not approaching this in a vindictive manner ...Luckily, my new husband makes an extremely good living and I'm able to stay at home with the kids at this time. However, in 7 years dd will be heading to college and I'd like to use this money for college funds for the kids (after the braces are paid off...lol). I have a feeling that ex will treat tuition payments the same way he treated the medical bills...

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">