• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CS with welfare check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kw0602

What is the name of your state? AL
My ex is ordered to pay $130/mo CS, which is to be taken from her SSI(supplemental income check every month). She has never paid anything so I assume that she has not turned in the withholding order.
Since the order she has had another child and is receiving welfare checks for him. I have an appointement with the Department of Human Resources next week for CS enforcement. Will they even make her pay if she is receiving welfare?

Also I found out that she was receiving welfare checks while we were married and while I was sending her CS. How can I deal with this matter when I visit the office so that I will not be liable for paying back money to the government since I was supporting my kids during those times?

vexed

Hi kw, I'm in the same situation with my ex who is also receiving SSI. My CS order is through Ohio, but I'm going to assume it's the same. The judge ordered my ex to pay $40 a month from his check and also to pay 30% of all medical expenses not covered by insurance.

I wish you luck in collecting your CS, I haven't received a dime in over 4 years. I've gone through CSEA to try to get him to pay, they say they can't force him to pay CS out of his $540 monthly check. I've been to the SS office so many times for help they run away when I walk in :D The SS people tell me that SSI is like welfare and that if he had ever worked (he hasn't, he's legally blind...and lazy) that my dd would receive her own check, but since he hasn't, there isn't anything they can do for us. They also say I should consider applying for welfare myself!!....I make entirely too much for that.

I've thought about getting him on contempt, but I've been told by several people that it would be a waste of time because the judge should've never ordered it the first place and would likely over look it.

So, unless I'm wrong on this (someone please correct me if I am), you're in the same boat.....good luck

kw0602

Unfortunately that is my situation. My ex has never worked, she is "mentally unstable" which is the reason I have my kids. But I do have a withholding order from our judge that is legally binding. This money is to be taken out of her check.
When this was ordered she did not have another child, and she was working part time.
She gets $540/mo also. But she also lives rent free, gets food stamps, gets welfare check, and gets a utlility check. Knowing all this, it is hard for me to feel sympathy for her when all she has to pay for is her phone, cell phone, and gas in the car!
My kids are at the age when they want to participate in activities and even though $130/mo. is not a lot of money, it can pay for karate and ballet. I was hoping to get better news but I am still going to try.

vexed

Hello again kw, I wish I had a better answer for you (for both of us, actually).

I do know that SS will not deduct the CS directly from her check, even with a court order (in my state anyway). I've tried that route as well. You could try to get her on contempt, with the help of a lawyer, but I don't see any other way.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">