• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custodial & non custodial rights re: schools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrummagoo

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have joint custody & the custodial parent. I have recently sent my child to live with her father and the school says that the law requires that he must be the custodial parent in order to register her or look at any of her records. We have joint custody. what is the law?

ceara19

scrummagoo said:

I have joint custody & the custodial parent. I have recently sent my child to live with her father and the school says that the law requires that he must be the custodial parent in order to register her or look at any of her records. We have joint custody. what is the law?
Either parent SHOULD be able to enroll the child. Just incase, you may want to sign a notarized statement of consent for dad to have if he needs it. Also, unless there is a court order to the contrary, BOTH parents have equal access to all of the child's records.

bononos

scrummagoo said:

A child, typically, must reside in the district of the school.
Dad will need to be the residential parent on the court order if the school is requesting it.
Is she not in school at all right now?
Why the he11 did you send her to dad without enrolling her in the new school properly first?

casa

scrummagoo said:

1. It's possible the school has district/residency requirements. Some schools do not accept out of district transfers or enrollment.

2. ANY parent (custodial or otherwise) has the Right to access educational/medical records. It's FERPA and you can read about it on www.deltabravo.net The school representative is either ignorant, lied or Dad lied (in order to have custody changed to him legally) about him not being able to view her records without custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">