• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial parent continues to ignore Parenting Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StressedinMO

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I am the non-custodial parent. Both parents have joint legal custody with my ex having sole physical custody. As a unit, we are to discuss and come to an agreement on all issues with the children. She hasn't once contacted me on any changes...medical, educational, etc. I usually find out after the fact and remind her that she needs to keep me updated about these issues so that we can discuss them.

Anyway, the recent issue that I am focusing on today is: she has informed me that she is moving to another town in our state. This move will take the children outside of their school district. She notified me after selling her house and has already made plans to move. Although she has not technically done anything wrong until she moves and enrolls them into a different school, is there anything I can do to stop her from taking the kids to a different school?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I am the non-custodial parent. Both parents have joint legal custody with my ex having sole physical custody. As a unit, we are to discuss and come to an agreement on all issues with the children. She hasn't once contacted me on any changes...medical, educational, etc. I usually find out after the fact and remind her that she needs to keep me updated about these issues so that we can discuss them.

Anyway, the recent issue that I am focusing on today is: she has informed me that she is moving to another town in our state. This move will take the children outside of their school district. She notified me after selling her house and has already made plans to move. Although she has not technically done anything wrong until she moves and enrolls them into a different school, is there anything I can do to stop her from taking the kids to a different school?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why do you feel that mom doesn't have the right to move? Is it addressed in your orders?

StressedinMO

It is not that I feel as if she can't move and no it is not posted in the papers, but it is posted that all education decisions, including where the child shall attend, are to be discussed and mutually agreed upon. Which she has not done, and according to her does not feel "obligated" to do so.

Antigone*

It is not that I feel as if she can't move and no it is not posted in the papers, but it is posted that all education decisions, including where the child shall attend, are to be discussed and mutually agreed upon. Which she has not done, and according to her does not feel "obligated" to do so.
So call her up and have a chat about it.

CJane

Do YOU live in the kids' school district?

HOW did she notify you that she was moving?

How far apart are you NOW and how far apart will you be post-relocation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's go with this theme. Is there some sort of problem with the new district/school that makes you object to your child attending school there?

StressedinMO

I have tried to talk to her about this and she feels as if she is not obligated to discuss it with me. Our communication has broken down enough so, that all contact has been forced to email because of verbal bashing (on her end). This form of communication has seemed to alleviate some of that.

As for the other post,

No, I do not live in the school district, but if it meant keeping them there, I would consider moving into it.

She contacted me via email after I had sent an email asking what the kids' schedule is for the summer so we can iron out visitation.

The distance now is around 65 miles and will be around 20 miles more each way (I have to pay for transportation both ways).

StressedinMO

My biggest concern with the new school district is that it doesn't rate as high on "greatschools.com". It is rated a 5, where their present school is a 9. Also, it will be further away for me to attend school functions and with raising gas prices...ouch! I want to be there for my kids and she just seems to keep throwing curve balls into the mix. Making it as hard as possible.

mistoffolees

The distance now is around 65 miles and will be around 20 miles more each way (I have to pay for transportation both ways).
So 85 miles instead of 65? I don't see that you have much chance of doing anything about it.

And don't rely on greatschools.com as being that important. There are lots of reasons why the score might not be accurate and also reasons why one might find that a lower rated school is better for some kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">