• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial parent with full custody vs non custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpno1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My ex husband abandoned me and my son when he was 2 months old. He gave me full custody and requested no visitation in the divorce decree. I took him to court for child support because he was not keeping up with the monthly amount we agreed upon. About 2 years later he decides to show up and say he is paying child support so he should have visitation. We agreed upon supervised visits a few times during the month which in the beginning were inconsistent. My son was not comfortable being alone with him or his family. My son is now 3 years old. He sees his father 2-3 times in the week again not consistently since his father is not always available due to his work schedule and other obligations that come up. Some visits are supervised and now he is starting to have some time alone with his son for a few hours. There are obvious trust issues towards my ex. Sometimes I feel like I am giving him to a stranger. His father is now requesting weekend visitation with sleepovers. I am not comfortable with this. I am looking out for the best interest of my child. What are my rights having full custody of my son? Do I have to say yes because that's his father? I am frustrated. HELP.:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
IS there a court order for visitation? If dad takes you back to court for visitation you can expect him to get EOW and one night a week visitation. If there is a court order you have to follow that.

CJane

If you currently have court ordered sole custody of your son and there is NO order for visitation, then you are under no LEGAL obligation to let your ex spend time with HIS child.

However, if he files for visitation and shows the fact that he's been exercising visitation and has built a relationship with HIS child, then he will be awarded visitation. You will NOT be allowed to control the visits and it's unlikely they'd be supervised.

Unless he's a danger to your son - and clearly he's not - be thankful that he WANTS to be a father even if it's not the TYPE of father YOU would wish for your son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">