• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial Parent moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artlover63

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have a sixteen year old and I have custody. I am moving to North Carolina and he wants to stay with his father. Do I have to pay child support? What are my options? Can I make my son move with me?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have a sixteen year old and I have custody. I am moving to North Carolina and he wants to stay with his father. Do I have to pay child support? What are my options? Can I make my son move with me?
yu will need to follow your state's laws regarding relocation out of state with the child.

would you consent to dad having custody if you did not have to pay child support?

artlover63

Child Custody

My ex husband is not a great role model for my son, but I am willing to let my son make the decision since his dad has finally expressed interest in spending more time with him. If I didn't have to pay support, I would let him live with him. When would I have visitation?

artlover63

I don't want him to stay with his dad, but what can I do? He is 16. I make him do homework, I act like a parent. I wouldn't want to go with me either!:) I can't make him go with me, but I would like for him to. I have been to court 4 times to get custody of my son over the last six years because of his father's behavior.

Hisbabygirl77

Well you could stay in your state to be with your son who in two years will be legal adult. Or you could file with the courts for approval to move with him and if it doesnt get approved refer back to my first point which is stay in state with your son.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why can't you stay put for two more years? NC will still be there when he's an adult. Or is there something/one in NC that won't wait?

artlover63

I cannot stay put for two more years. It is complicated but there is no other way but to move. I just want to know my rights and my options. I have spent more money on my child to get custody because of issues with my ex. I have been remarried for eight years. My husband has basically raised my son. He has been transferred. We have to move. There is no issue with my husband. They get along great. My son feels torn and I can understand that.

artlover63

I know I have to petition the courts. I am not kidnapping my child!:) Thanks for the posts. I will see my lawyer about the rest of it next week. I thought someone else on here had been through the same situation. Obviously this type of forum is not the place to explain the complexity of some situations. I am well aware of paying for my child. Again, thanks for the input.

artlover63

Also I am not an idiot. But I used to be married to one, so you are probably right in that category. Have a great day!:)

Isis1

I know I have to petition the courts. I am not kidnapping my child!:) Thanks for the posts. I will see my lawyer about the rest of it next week. I thought someone else on here had been through the same situation. Obviously this type of forum is not the place to explain the complexity of some situations. I am well aware of paying for my child. Again, thanks for the input.
look, the point was, DO NOT SAY THAT IN YOUR PETITION.

you go about it this way. you file the petition to move with the child. or notify with the court you want to move while notifying dad.

look for your state rules regarding relocation.

request the move with child. put in you will be providing ALL costs of transportation, webcam visits, phone contact, extended weekend visitation, a majority of the holidays, and whatever else time you can think of. shoot, i'd throw in dad not having to pay child support as well.

worse case scenario, you move with hubby, child stays with dad, you pay all transportation costs, have webcam visits, phone contact, and pay child support.

janM

Also I am not an idiot. But I used to be married to one, so you are probably right in that category. Have a great day!:)
You are reading peoples' signature lines. They show up after every post.
You're not the only one to misinterpret them.

artlover63

LOL. I thought that the lines at the end of the posts were a little strange. Thanks for pointing that out! Thanks for the input as well. I had the same idea: throw in all the breaks, (there is at least one long weekend a month during the school year), pay for transportation, give him all summer and longer holiday breaks. I just want my child to get through school and onto college. I don't seem him doing that with his dad. I am not trying to be mean, I am stating the truth. He doesn't know anything about it and he won't try to understand. I don't care about him paying child support either if my son would come with me. I looked up custody law in Tennessee and I think I have a great shot at explaining the benefits of the move to a court. Trust me, I wouldn't want anyone to go through this, but if someone has to, I hope these posts help them. I appreciate the feedback!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">