• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custodial parent moving out-of-state with child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sboisjolie

What is the name of your state? georgia
My step-daughter's mother is moving from Georgia to Texas in July. They are moving b/c her mother's current husband took a new job (he wasn't transferred/relocated) to make more money.
The court papers say that my husband is to have his daughter every-other weekend and every-other holiday, etc. We currently get her every weekend (usually one night) and every holiday (split with custodial parent). My husband and I are both devastated! I have been with my husband for ten years and my step-daughter is 11. Our step-daughter seems excited about the move and we don't want to cause any greif for her. She was promised many things, including that she can fly home (to Georgia) whenever she wants.
Isn't this move in violation of a court-order? It seems wrong to make a father pay child support and he can't even see his daughter. My husband's ex is very well off, and we are struggling financially. This isn't part of the issue, but we don't want to be stuck not seeing our daughter or being forced to pay for plane tickets several times a year to and from Texas. What should we do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If Dad doesn't intend to contest the child being moved (he'd be entitled to), he should file for a modification of the visitation order to allow for longer visits and he should ask that Mom be made responsible for the airfare.

shellbell_1975

I'm surprised that there is nothing in the custody/visitation papers about being able to move the child from the state. I would read your papers carefully and see if this is in there anywhere. Usually it states that the child can not be moved more than 100 miles from the place of domain or that they can not be removed from the state without prior approval of the court. Just something to check into.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
If Dad doesn't intend to contest the child being moved (he'd be entitled to), he should file for a modification of the visitation order to allow for longer visits and he should ask that Mom be made responsible for the airfare.
Dad certainly is entitled to contest the move...but since his daughter seems excited about it that might not be the wisest thing to do. I agree that he needs to get the schedule and transportation modified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">