• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial Parent not compying with court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnnetteR

I (the non-custodial parent) reside in CA, my kids reside in Texas with their father (the custodial parent). Per our court order (from Texas) he is to notify me when he moves, when he changes the kids school, whom his employer is and reimburse me for 1/2 of the visitation expenses within 30 days from time of purchase (plane tickets, train tickets, etc.) In addition we have set days that I am suppose to have access to speak with the kids. He has failed to comply with all of these things. I miss not knowing what is happening in my childrens lives. What are my rights as the non-custodial parent?

L

LadyBlu

AnnetteR said:
I (the non-custodial parent) reside in CA, my kids reside in Texas with their father (the custodial parent). Per our court order (from Texas) he is to notify me when he moves, when he changes the kids school, whom his employer is and reimburse me for 1/2 of the visitation expenses within 30 days from time of purchase (plane tickets, train tickets, etc.) In addition we have set days that I am suppose to have access to speak with the kids. He has failed to comply with all of these things. I miss not knowing what is happening in my childrens lives. What are my rights as the non-custodial parent?
You will need to file a motion to show cause in TX court that has jurisdiction. His failure to abide by the court order and to keep you from being able to contact the children is contempt of court.

Most times he will only get a slap on the wrist the first time. But the key is to keep documentation so that you can keep on him to comply with the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">