• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial rights for school enrollment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Please stop giving advice. Even if you were able to get a school to agree in your case, that doesn't mean that OP will be able to. And your statement (that the school could not demand that the custodial parent reside in their district) is flat out, completely, totally, 100% wrong.

OP already checked with the school and the school says that Dad has to have custodial rights for the school to enroll the child. So even in OP's district, your statement is wrong.

Wow do I sense hostility - what did anyone on here do to hurt you! I did not give advice. I gave experience ( there's a difference). What I said is the school couldn't force her - nobody can force you to do anything! The best you can do is look at other options if they say no. You don't have to take your anger out on people on here they've done nothing to you - get a grip!

People come on here for hope and suggestions not to get beaten down even more! I think forums are a great place for support but not if all your going to see is hostility, sarcasm and degradation. If you read some of the comments to this lady - they are not helpful. What's helpful about "you can't have your cake and eat it too" or "Dramatic much" or talking about people who pretend to live in certain jurisdictions for school and screaming at people for sharing their experience. None of that is helpful and it's not even advice - it's sarcasm.

OP I really hope you get the help you need. Obviously this is not the place. Find yourself a good support group. Surround yourself with others who are loving and kind and have your whole families best interest at heart. Good luck with everything! I will keep you all in my prayers!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Thanks, Plumster...

LOL I was just sitting here wondering why I'm sitting here allowing myself to get frustrated by people's idiocy when I should be out celebrating my Dad's progressing recovery! If I didn't have to go to work soon, I'd have me a glass of wine!

Antigone*

Thanks, Plumster...

LOL I was just sitting here wondering why I'm sitting here allowing myself to get frustrated by people's idiocy when I should be out celebrating my Dad's progressing recovery! If I didn't have to go to work soon, I'd have me a glass of wine!
I'd have one for you, but I'm at work. Will a virtual mimosa do?

Silverplum

Wrong again.

People come here for valid legal info and advice based upon their state's laws, along with general experience.

Did YOU want to hear any old info about YOUR case/problem? Or did you want valid legal info that is specific to your state's laws?

Wow do I sense hostility - what did anyone on here do to hurt you! I did not give advice. I gave experience ( there's a difference). What I said is the school couldn't force her - nobody can force you to do anything! The best you can do is look at other options if they say no. You don't have to take your anger out on people on here they've done nothing to you - get a grip!

People come on here for hope and suggestions not to get beaten down even more! I think forums are a great place for support but not if all your going to see is hostility, sarcasm and degradation. If you read some of the comments to this lady - they are not helpful. What's helpful about "you can't have your cake and eat it too" or "Dramatic much" or talking about people who pretend to live in certain jurisdictions for school and screaming at people for sharing their experience. None of that is helpful and it's not even advice - it's sarcasm.

OP I really hope you get the help you need. Obviously this is not the place. Find yourself a good support group. Surround yourself with others who are loving and kind and have your whole families best interest at heart. Good luck with everything! I will keep you all in my prayers!

*applause*

Best explanation of what is wrong with a newbie posting without knowing the applicable laws, or even that there are applicable laws.
This is a very sick place! Lot's of hostility - I only gave my experience of what happened to me. I wonder how many of you on here are attorney's or just really pissed off parents who lost your children!

Antigone*

This is a very sick place! Lot's of hostility - I only gave my experience of what happened to me. I wonder how many of you on here are attorney's or just really pissed off parents who lost your children!
You are free to leave. Just remember one thing: No refunds.:cool:

Wrong again.

People come here for valid legal info and advice based upon their state's laws, along with general experience.

Did YOU want to hear any old info about YOUR case/problem? Or did you want valid legal info that is specific to your state's laws?
That's what I did - give my general experience to her. How many of you helped her? How many of you just criticized her? hmmmm

Silverplum

Thanks, Plumster...

*Celebration happy dancing!* :):):)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That's what I did - give my general experience to her. How many of you helped her? How many of you just criticized her? hmmmm
And your experience was NOT in her state, mo! Seriously - sit down and read, w/o typing. Learn something.

Silverplum

I see you are heavily prone to the High Drama Style. That's not a legal, measured way of thinking. It's a discipline worth learning.

Nobody but YOU gave her INACCURATE advice for her situation.

Then it was YOU who got all angry and accusatory when you were told you were incorrect.

More of the High Drama Style.

CJane

What I said is the school couldn't force her -
This is actually true. They cannot force her to transfer custody. They CAN refuse to allow the child to be enrolled in their district if Mom doesn't follow their requirements though.

nobody can force you to do anything!
That's patently UNtrue. The state is involved in this relationship because there's an existing court order. Which means the court CAN force things to happen. And, if the child is acting out violently at home, it's probably not too long before the state is MORE heavily involved in the form of CPS. Again, THEY can FORCE things to happen.

I see you are heavily prone to the High Drama Style. That's not a legal, measured way of thinking. It's a discipline worth learning.

Nobody but YOU gave her INACCURATE advice for her situation.

Then it was YOU who got all angry and accusatory when you were told you were incorrect.

More of the High Drama Style.

I gave experience not advice - look it up

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">