• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial rights for school enrollment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

I gave experience not advice - look it up
You cannot "give experience". You can "tell a story BASED ON YOUR experience", and that's FINE, if it's applicable to OP's situation.

However, you're not in the OP's state (so far as I know), you're not in OP's ex's school district (so far as I know) and you don't have a child who is acting out so violently in the home that he's attempting to access weapons (so far as I know).

As such, your story is HOPEFUL but not HELPFUL. Look it up.

nextwife

This kid needs serious RESIDENTIAL, or at minimum, daytime mental health treatment. Changing addresses alone is not going to fix things.

Has he has a full psych exam? Been checked for adolescent onset bipolar or other mental health disorders? He's loose upon the world with no inpatient care after what he did?

This is not a mere discipline problem!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's what I did - give my general experience to her. How many of you helped her? How many of you just criticized her? hmmmm
Well I am an attorney in Ohio. You are in PA? Then sit back and shut up unless you want to cause this poster a whole lot of trouble. Ever hear of Kelly Bolar Williams? I have. She enrolled her children where she said they lived. The school district filed a criminal complaint against her -- she was convicted of a felony. In. Ohio. Unless you want to research the law in Ohio and it backs up your experience, shut up. Your PA experience means nothing.

There are many options that the poster has but if she is going to listen to your idiocy then she doesn't need the actual law apparently. If she is going to ignore the stupidity you are typing, I can suggest several LEGAL options available to her through the law. None of which will have an expiration date because the law doesn't allow for it. But all of which are LEGAL and won't result in a CRIMINAL COMPLAINT being filed against her. LIKE YOUR stupidity could do.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The school situation:
O.R.C. 3109.04(K)(7) is what to read and the solution to the issue (except for the expiration date.

Completely legal and completely above board and so not what the advice was given by wcgourd person.

Other than that -- intensive counseling is needed for this child. How intensive should be determined by a psychiatric evaluation.

mistoffolees

The school situation:
O.R.C. 3109.04(K)(7) is what to read and the solution to the issue (except for the expiration date.

Completely legal and completely above board and so not what the advice was given by wcgourd person.

Other than that -- intensive counseling is needed for this child. How intensive should be determined by a psychiatric evaluation.
I agree completely - especially the part about counseling. However, it may still not do what Mom hopes to accomplish.

If Mom allows the child to live with Dad for the school year and the child goes to school in Dad's district, Dad could easily ask for (and very possibly receive) custody at the end of the school year - particularly if the child does well this year.

There's just no way for Mom to let the child live with Dad for a year and then simply snap her fingers and take the child back if Dad wants to fight.

Well I am an attorney in Ohio. You are in PA? Then sit back and shut up unless you want to cause this poster a whole lot of trouble. Ever hear of Kelly Bolar Williams? I have. She enrolled her children where she said they lived. The school district filed a criminal complaint against her -- she was convicted of a felony. In. Ohio. Unless you want to research the law in Ohio and it backs up your experience, shut up. Your PA experience means nothing.

There are many options that the poster has but if she is going to listen to your idiocy then she doesn't need the actual law apparently. If she is going to ignore the stupidity you are typing, I can suggest several LEGAL options available to her through the law. None of which will have an expiration date because the law doesn't allow for it. But all of which are LEGAL and won't result in a CRIMINAL COMPLAINT being filed against her. LIKE YOUR stupidity could do.

Again, I did not give expert advice! I told my experience as a parent. And "shut up" really, is that how experts talk. Again you are very very angry people. God help you when you need some compassion as you do not give to others! I did not tell OP to go and take my experience and do as I do - I said here's what happened to me. You all take things out of context - anger will get you nowhere. Just a bunch of glorified idiots who are not helping anyone!

Silverplum

Again, I did not give expert advice!
We know.

wmcgourney said:
I told my experience as a parent.
And it turned out to be useless. It also turned out that you are not gracious when told you're in the wrong. It also turned out that you don't care if someone else you don't even know is hurt by your need to "win." :rolleyes: :mad:

wmcgourney said:
And "shut up" really, is that how experts talk.
You might be surprised.

wmcgourney said:
Again you are very very angry people. God help you when you need some compassion as you do not give to others! I did not tell OP to go and take my experience and do as I do - I said here's what happened to me. You all take things out of context - anger will get you nowhere. Just a bunch of glorified idiots who are not helping anyone!
You aren't finished YET?
:rolleyes:

mariasusa

This kid needs serious RESIDENTIAL, or at minimum, daytime mental health treatment. Changing addresses alone is not going to fix things.

Has he has a full psych exam? Been checked for adolescent onset bipolar or other mental health disorders? He's loose upon the world with no inpatient care after what he did?

This is not a mere discipline problem!
This is so true. Mom, I understand you've tried a lot and are in a untenable situation. Has your son ever had a full psych exam? Is dad willing to take this on and support son whatever comes up? Cause stuff is going to come up.

Its not uncommon to see posts on here...I gave custody to ex for ____ years with the agreement he/she be returned by _____. And the ex doesn't return child. And a precedent is in place to be with that parent. So as already said, you can't set a deadline on how long dad parents. If dad does a good, or even decent job helping out this child, let the child stay. Visit him often. Support in whatever way you can.

Doesn't mean you have to lose joint legal custody (assuming thats in place, if its not obviously that would need to be changed), what it would mean is dad has primary custody.

tuffbrk

Again, I did not give expert advice! I told my experience as a parent. And "shut up" really, is that how experts talk. Again you are very very angry people. God help you when you need some compassion as you do not give to others! I did not tell OP to go and take my experience and do as I do - I said here's what happened to me. You all take things out of context - anger will get you nowhere. Just a bunch of glorified idiots who are not helping anyone!
Talk about an angry person...Again - this is not a forum to blog about your experiences, it is not a support group site - it is a legal site. If you do not have legal advice to provide then do not post. The party that posted did not invite forum participants to share their stories. They asked for legal advice.

I do not understand why you cannot comprehend this very simple concept.

Talk about an angry person...Again - this is not a forum to blog about your experiences, it is not a support group site - it is a legal site. If you do not have legal advice to provide then do not post. The party that posted did not invite forum participants to share their stories. They asked for legal advice.

I do not understand why you cannot comprehend this very simple concept.
Please tell me - where are your credentials posted on this site? I haven't seen them****************************..

Simple concept - Yes you are all completely right! By no means should you...

1. talk to the school with dad and see what can be done and what steps to take.

2. Go to co-parenting with dad to come up with a plan

3. You, dad and child go to therapy with your son

This is all bad, very bad advice! please run as fast as you can from this - all the "experts" here said this should not be done at all!

You probably should do this instead... go get a very expensive lawyer, go to court, and spend all your money. When it is all over the court will then tell you (now that your broke):

1. that you and dad should try to work it out together
2. go to co-parenting and devise a co-parenting plan to get your kid some help!
3. get your child and yourselves into therapy

Well done everyone!

applause to you all! Somewhere along the line I missed the part where I was supposed to spend all my money in the process, and instead of trying to get along with all parties involved and do what's in the best interest of my child - simply refuse to get along with anyone. Yes better much better that way!

Hmm I'd like to see all your credentials - "Experts" Right!

Dear experts, I will pray for you************** and your children(they will need it)! Have a great day!:)

proud_parent

applause to you all! Somewhere along the line I missed the part where I was supposed to spend all my money in the process, and instead of trying to get along with all parties involved and do what's in the best interest of my child - simply refuse to get along with anyone. Yes better much better that way!
Somewhere along the line, I missed the part where this thread had anything to do with YOU and YOUR child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Please tell me - where are your credentials posted on this site? I haven't seen them****************************..
The moderators know my credentials as do many other people on here. Your ranting and idiocy is dangerous. So return to your corner and shut up.

Simple concept - Yes you are all completely right! By no means should you...

1. talk to the school with dad and see what can be done and what steps to take.
She was told by the school that dad needs custody. My advice was legally relevant and accomplishes what the SCHOOL needs and if you had read it and understood it and comprehended it, you would see that. However you are stuck on telling her to do what she already did.

2. Go to co-parenting with dad to come up with a plan
Each child has two parents. They should ALWAYS coparent.

3. You, dad and child go to therapy with your son
And it may be that family counseling is NOT appropriate for the child at THIS POINT. Until the child has an EVALUATION by someone qualified to give a psychiatric evaluation to him, it will not be known if FAMILY counseling is appropriate. Therefore that advice is dangerous.
This is all bad, very bad advice! please run as fast as you can from this - all the "experts" here said this should not be done at all!
Most of what you said was BAD ADVICE.

You probably should do this instead... go get a very expensive lawyer, go to court, and spend all your money.
Jeez, and I the lawyer in Ohio did not mention anything about getting a very expensive lawyer or spending money, now did I. No. I quoted the relevant law. Try to educate yourself. Until then, SHUT UP.

When it is all over the court will then tell you (now that your broke):

1. that you and dad should try to work it out together
2. go to co-parenting and devise a co-parenting plan to get your kid some help!
3. get your child and yourselves into therapy
The court will NOT tell them to get everyone in to therapy unless a professional states that family therapy is necessary and appropriate.

Well done everyone!

You are an idiot.

Hmm I'd like to see all your credentials - "Experts" Right!
Where did you post the law or anything other than ranting? Oh yeah, you didn't.

Dear experts, I will pray for you************** and your children(they will need it)! Have a great day!:)
Have you had therapy yourself? Because by your rantings an evaluation wouldn't hurt you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree completely - especially the part about counseling. However, it may still not do what Mom hopes to accomplish.

If Mom allows the child to live with Dad for the school year and the child goes to school in Dad's district, Dad could easily ask for (and very possibly receive) custody at the end of the school year - particularly if the child does well this year.

There's just no way for Mom to let the child live with Dad for a year and then simply snap her fingers and take the child back if Dad wants to fight.
It could but quite frankly, if dad pushes the issue now, a full fledged custody battle would most likely see dad winning custody anyway due to the attack on the stepfather. My suggestion solves the school issue IMMEDIATELY as all that is necessary is an agreed entry stating that under that portion of the code, dad is residential for school purposes. It changes nothing else at this juncture but gets the child enrolled in dad's school district. Then the parents have time to work out all the other details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">