• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jen.ream.13

My daughter was born in Maryland, her father and I never married but he is on her birth certificate. I moved to PA when she was 4 months old (2010) He has not seen or spoken to her since August 2011, nor paid any child support. I have since married and 2 additional children and the oldest wants her name changed and my husband wants to adopt her. I'm not sure how to go about this.

Eekamouse

My daughter was born in Maryland, her father and I never married but he is on her birth certificate. I moved to PA when she was 4 months old (2010) He has not seen or spoken to her since August 2011, nor paid any child support. I have since married and 2 additional children and the oldest wants her name changed and my husband wants to adopt her. I'm not sure how to go about this.
Are you sure it's the child who wants her named changed and not you?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Did you give him your new address? Are there any court orders? Is there a child support order? Are you planning on serving dad?

jen.ream.13

She knows she has a different last name, she asks all the time about her having it changed. So no, it's not me. He has all contact information, it hasn't changed for the last 5 years. Has older children and doesn't see them either.

Proserpina

She knows she has a different last name, she asks all the time about her having it changed. So no, it's not me. He has all contact information, it hasn't changed for the last 5 years. Has older children and doesn't see them either.
Who exactly is making a big deal out of the last name? She's what, SIX? She hasn't been told in age-appropriate terms that in some families people have different names and it's no big deal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">