• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody after mother is found to be addicted to drugs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grayman75

I have found out that my ex is a drug addict and have reported her to Child Services. Now what? If they do nothing do I contact the Police? I know she has done drugs in the house with the kids there. What should be my next step of getting custody?

Banned_Princess

I have found out that my ex is a drug addict and have reported her to Child Services. Now what? If they do nothing do I contact the Police? I know she has done drugs in the house with the kids there. What should be my next step of getting custody?
Let CPS investigate.

Keep on them, call everyday if you have to.

If they find nothing to be wrong, then you have to find another way to prove in some way she is on drugs, and she is harming the children in the meantime.
If you dont have proof she has done drugs in the house with the kids there, then you dont "know" anything.

*****US Law ONLY!!! *****

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US Law Only!

CJane

You're going to need to provide a LOT more detail... Mom being an addict might not be enough to change custody.

How old are the kids?

WHAT do you claim Mom is addicted to?

HOW did you "find out" that Mom is an addict?

How long has it been since you lived with Mom?

What is the CURRENT custody order?

How often do you see the children?

Banned_Princess

You're going to need to provide a LOT more detail... Mom being an addict might not be enough to change custody.

How old are the kids?

WHAT do you claim Mom is addicted to?

HOW did you "find out" that Mom is an addict?

How long has it been since you lived with Mom?

What is the CURRENT custody order?

How often do you see the children?
AND What state are you in,

AND are you the established father of thiese (or this ) kid?

AND What proof do you have.

Grayman75

More info

The kids are 11,12,14 and we live in colorado. I have been suspicious of her using drugs for about a year now. Together with the 100lb wt loss and her unstable actions. With My ex's roommate's sister calling CPS on her and she also has seen both of them doing meth. Some items of the kids have ended up being sold for money for drugs too. We've been divorced for 9 years now and we have joint custody with me having them 12 overnights a month.

Isis1

The kids are 11,12,14 and we live in colorado. I have been suspicious of her using drugs for about a year now. Together with the 100lb wt loss and her unstable actions. With My ex's roommate's sister calling CPS on her and she also has seen both of them doing meth. Some items of the kids have ended up being sold for money for drugs too. We've been divorced for 9 years now and we have joint custody with me having them 12 overnights a month.
so CPS has already been notified. they are doing an investigation.

you can keep yourself updated with CPS, but you still don't know anything.

geez, so if i lose weight, now i have to worry about the ex accusing me of drugs too??

i've sold LOTS of personal belongings. to pay the rent, to pay for food, put gas in the car.....not one dime went to drugs.

Isis1

The weight loss only took 6-8 months and she doesn't work out either.
and you know this because you follow her around 24/7?

i don't work out either. there are other ways to lose weight than by working out.

i've lost weight by counting calories, i've lost 40 pounds once because i was sick for a month.

lost weight is not a drug use indication alone. there's surgical procedures, there's fat burners, metabolizers**************

CJane

So, when your ex-wife's roommates sister (saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors :rolleyes: ) SAW your ex and her roommate doing meth and told you about it, how much time passed before you called CPS?

And the kids are with you almost 1/2 the time. If you can PROVE she's doing drugs, can you PROVE it's while she has the kids?

How are the kids doing in school? Healthwise? Socially?

Banned_Princess

This man said his children are being sold for drugs... they are old enough, couldn't they verify that she is on drugs?

And as for the weight loss thing, that is a HUGE indication of drug abuse.

There is a HUGEHUGE difference between healthy weight loss and the miraculous meth diet. it is visible and obvious too.

And drug addicts do tend to act in a particular (or peculiar) way, and is the reason they are not considered healthy or in control, or capable of taking care of kids (or pets, or themselves)... its also also a pretty obvious change in a persons life, that indicate drug abuse.

From these posts, I suspect that CPS will find she is on drugs, and act accordingly... but I may have too much faith in the system. (lol, or she is not getting high, and dad is making it up.)

CJane

This man said his children are being sold for drugs... they are old enough, couldn't they verify that she is on drugs?
Well, no, he said their STUFF is being sold for drugs.

CPS might find out Mom is on drugs. But that is NOT a "win" for custody to dad necessarily. Depends on a whole host of other things too.

Also, the kids' ages will come into play. Very often, older kiddos are seen as "relatively self sufficient" and the level of supervision/care is so reduced, and their ability to recognize emergencies/get help is elevated, and sometimes CPS won't "do anything".

Banned_Princess

Well, no, he said their STUFF is being sold for drugs.

CPS might find out Mom is on drugs. But that is NOT a "win" for custody to dad necessarily. Depends on a whole host of other things too.

Also, the kids' ages will come into play. Very often, older kiddos are seen as "relatively self sufficient" and the level of supervision/care is so reduced, and their ability to recognize emergencies/get help is elevated, and sometimes CPS won't "do anything".
Ahh, I was wondering why no one else was horrified that she was selling the kids for drugs. lol .

That is very clarifying CJane, thank you :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">