• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody battle/harassment issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sammy2

What is the name of your state? TN

This is a long story. But I really need advice.

I got pregnant cheating on my ex fiance' with a man I dated years before I met my ex. Not a good idea but it happens. I became pregnant. Fearing it could be my ex boyfriends the chances were more favorable my child belonged to my fiance. When he was born I gave him my fiance's name but I never asked him to sign the birth certificate. And he wasn't there when they did the paperwork so that worked out. We were doing well until we had relationship problems and my ex fiance and I split up. I was working part time because I was a student. So I quit my part time job and continued to be a student and signed up for TANF. I told them who the fathers could be. And the father is my ex boyfriend I cheated with.

I called my ex boyfriend to tell him he might have a son before I disclosed his information to the government. He talked to me but seemed it was more like bad news to him. When I called back to discuss what he wanted to do his fiance at that time (who is now his wife) answered his cell phone and cursed at me. She called me names and said I wasn't to ever call him again. And if I wanted a paternity test or support to let the government do the work for me. So I did.

Six months later the paternity test results come back and the harassment started. I got phone calls from his wife threatening that they were going to prove I was a bad mother and take my son away. She gave my number out to random men pretending to be me in bars as a joke I'm sure. But I had to change my number because I was scared that some of these men could be psycho. Then they called protective services and told them I abused my son. So protective services came to my house on two occasions. They never found anything. Then in a text message on yahoo messenger she said to me that my son was a mistake that i should have aborted. That he was a retard and an illigitimate b word and that he'd have been better off if he were never born to a mom like me!! I made a copy of this.

We went to the child support hearing and I took the copy of the message with me. The judge said my ex could see his son with fair and reasonable visitation as agreed by both parties. But his wife couldn't be involved. And that if my ex wanted any custody rights he'd have to go to a mediation with me and take parenting classes.

Well I've still gotten harassment from his wife. And now he's got a lawyer and is takiing me to court for custody and visitation. None of his wifes antics can I prove except the text message. I do have friends and family members that have heard her say things. I don't want that woman around my child. And what scares me is that my ex even heard her say those things and defended her. He didn't buy his son any presents for his birthday. And no presents for christmas. I don't know if he's tried to call him because when I changed my number I wasn't going to give it back to him! Does anyone think a Judge would let him get any type of un supervised custody? And can I keep his wife out of it for good?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, he will most likely eventually get unsupervised visitation. And, I suspect, you're not going to keep his wife caged forever. Depending on the timing of your fling and their relationship, it really may not be so strange that she has issues with you. Ya know?

peppier

Having issues and acting like a lunatic are 2 different things.

How old is the child? Have there been any visitations?

Zephyr

get an attorney yourself, and as much as you can push for her not to be involved with dad's custody time, you might not get it, but if you don't ask you definitely won't get it

wileybunch

Well I've still gotten harassment from his wife. .... None of his wifes antics can I prove except the text message.
What is she doing that it can't be proven?

And now he's got a lawyer and is takiing me to court for custody and visitation.
Well, it is his child. It's not like he's trying to terminate your rights and take the child away from you forever, he's just trying to make sure he has legal custody, too, and a physical custody arrangement. If he doesn't do this, he has absolutely no rights in that regard so of course he's doing this. Don't get worked up over this if this is all he's asking for, it's only natural.

And what scares me is that my ex even heard her say those things and defended her. ... Does anyone think a Judge would let him get any type of un supervised custody? And can I keep his wife out of it for good?
He should be able to see his son alone -- you haven't said anything that makes him a danger to the child. Hopefully his wife will calm down. She's saying those angry things to *YOU*, not the child. She's mad at *YOU*. I agree you should ask for her time to be limited, if nothing else b/c Dad needs to establish the relationship anyway and then one would think he'd keep her in check and not let her cause issues if he establishes the bond with his child that he's seeking.

He didn't buy his son any presents for his birthday. And no presents for christmas.
Just stop right there. There is no point in keeping score about this sort of thing *at all*.

Trust Me!!!

If you honestly believe that this will NOT iron out with this woman (as it usually does over time) - if you HONESTLY believe that she will continue to harass you - when it comes time to goto court CLOSE THE LOOPHOLES! Although it's ridiculous and petty - and the judge may see it that way as you really only have a few pranks and childish stunts that she's pulling - ask to have it written into the custody order that he not bring her with him to custody exchanges.

Outside of that - there's really nothing you can do except conduct yourself in a manner that is responsible and adult. It's a part of life - and let's face it - ya sorta hit him with a whamo and they're in scramble mode. If HER harrassment continues... attempt to get a civil restraining order.

Hopefully - it will all iron out. You've gotten some VERY good advice - don't start playing tit for tat... concentrate on your baby and who cares if dad doesn't buy Christmas or birthday gifts...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">