• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of a child that has a mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msmcgruff

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Is it legal for a father that is going to jail, to sign his parental rights over to his wife, the child's step-mother when the biological mother is alive and wanting the child in her custody? The child is in Georgia and the mother is in North Carolina:confused:

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

msmcgruff said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Is it legal for a father that is going to jail, to sign his parental rights over to his wife, the child's step-mother when the biological mother is alive and wanting the child in her custody? The child is in Georgia and the mother is in North Carolina:confused:
No. Only the court can award custody.

Has the mother's rights been terminated?

N

nicenyguy

he cant sign custody without mom's permission

no. mom gets custody if dad goes to jail. stepmom is a legal stranger with no rights.and anyway, dad cant sign custody over to anyone without mom's permission.

snostar

nicenyguy said:
no. mom gets custody if dad goes to jail. stepmom is a legal stranger with no rights.and anyway, dad cant sign custody over to anyone without mom's permission.
This would be incorrect if the mother rights have been terminated. We were only told that she "wants" custody.

N

nicenyguy

oops

i stand corrected, sorry. it didnt mention the mothers rights being terminated though. unless stepmom adopted the child, wouldnt she be a legal stranger to the child?

BelizeBreeze

nicenyguy said:
i stand corrected, sorry. it didnt mention the mothers rights being terminated though. unless stepmom adopted the child, wouldnt she be a legal stranger to the child?
There is no mention of the mother's standing in this matter.

Therefore, no one can say with certainty where the child will end up. Until that question is answered, the ONLY relevant answer is that a court decides custody.

It's funny how issues like this can go....I have "substantially equal parenting time" and joint physical custody of my daughter, yet when her father was deployed to Iraq (without telling me) he signed a POA to his wife and when I attempted to pick her up the cops would not allow me to. That's just with a POA. And I had the court documents, the stepmom was not even MENTIONED in any of the custody documents. They STILL let her keep my daughter, and I'm STILL in a custody battle 10 months later.

Hopefully you will think of the child, and not just yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">