• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of children in foster care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HunnieBee

Hello,
I have 2 nephews and a neice in foster care. I want to know how I go about getting them removed from there and placed with me. Are they not suppose to place children with relatives first before putting them in foster care? I live in Maryland and they are in Pennsylvania. Do I need to get a lawyer in Pennsylvania or Maryland? Do they need a court order to remove children from a home ? A quick response will be appreciated!
Hunnie:confused:

A

amaris

similar situation

My cousin put her 3 children in foster care in Ky while we live in Indiana. My sister and I spent 2 years to find them. We did and told the social worker we were interested in having them with us. Since my sister had no children and I do she was the one they preferred to place them with. The worker can help you get in touch with a child advocate lawyer who will help you get them in your home. It is likely she never even let them know a family member would take them. That was our case, my cousin told them she had no living relatives. We had each tried to get them for several years before that. The lawyer needs to be in the same state as the children. He will handle the adoption should both parents' rights be terminated. And you will then transfer the case to your state. That state will then pay you for caring for them and they will have state provided medical coverage. Also, my sister did not have the money to pay for a lawyer, so the state paid the lawyer fees for her. It is something you should check out. The sooner you start the sooner you will be able to get them. You have to meet requirements like each child having their own room, bed, and dresser before they will place them with you. But I am sure you will cover that to get them. Good luck. If you still are unsure email me at [email protected] (that's a zero not an o). I will help as much as I can. Her process took 18 months.

H

HunnieBee

custody of chidren in foster care

I talked to my sisters caseworker 2 months ago and was told that by law my sister has a set amount of time to get her children back and when the time is up i will be evaluated for placement with me. I don't trust Children and Youth Services AT ALL! I feel I am being lied to and given vague answers to my question. Those children were removed without a court order so that should tell you how "dirty" cys can be. How do I search for an out of state lawyer ? How do you get the state to pick up the tab of the legal fees? Also my nephew said he was told he is never going home . Can they tell him that? Is seems to me they are really screwing the poor child head all up. Any input you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">