• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Choice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CRsparky

In the state of Iowa, I am looking for the age a child needs to be in order for them to choose if they are required by law to visit a parent who has joint custody? My child is 13 and does not want to go to his fathers as often as the custody order states. What are his rights?

rmet4nzkx

He can chose when he is 18.
Until then you are both obligated to follow the court order.
Encouraging him to not like or want to be with his father can backfire on you.
Many children have father's who don't exercise ther parental rights and their children suffer.
It is common for teenagers to not want to be with their parents, it is a bigger problem in families of divorce because there is a court order, intact families sometimes wish they had a court order.

CRsparky

let me explain

What I'm trying to do is keep my son going to his fathers. His daughters at the same age refused to go over to his house. After awhile one was willing to go back, but he would not accept the days she wanted to visit, it's all or nothing with him, no changing of anything. My son is 13 and has little social skills because he is not allowed to do anything, school functions or sleepovers when staying at his fathers. (He did the same isolation to our older daughter who would not go back under any circumstances. She tells me to take him to court so her little brother does not have to go through what she did.) Unfortunately he is at that house every week end. For the best interest of my child and to keep a relationship with his father, he would be better off staying with his Dad on school days. So back to my question...what are his rights as a 13 yr. old in Iowa?

nurse2b05

your kids should feel lucky!!!

It could be alot worse my sister cant visit her bad because he gets drunk and hits her!!! And my father left when I was a baby and I have never met him! You and your kids should feel lucky that their dad isn't a dead beat and is apart of their life!!! Be grateful for what you have!

tigger22472

CRsparky said:
What I'm trying to do is keep my son going to his fathers. His daughters at the same age refused to go over to his house. After awhile one was willing to go back, but he would not accept the days she wanted to visit, it's all or nothing with him, no changing of anything. My son is 13 and has little social skills because he is not allowed to do anything, school functions or sleepovers when staying at his fathers. (He did the same isolation to our older daughter who would not go back under any circumstances. She tells me to take him to court so her little brother does not have to go through what she did.) Unfortunately he is at that house every week end. For the best interest of my child and to keep a relationship with his father, he would be better off staying with his Dad on school days. So back to my question...what are his rights as a 13 yr. old in Iowa?

And you were given that answer... He does not get to choose about visitation. It would do you little good to take it to court because unless you can prove dad to be unfit beyond a shadow of a doubt he will STILL get visitation and the child will be required to go. Even in custody matters children do not decide but especially in visitation.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
CRsparky said:
So back to my question...what are his rights as a 13 yr. old in Iowa?
He has the right to do as he's told. And why can't he engage in social activities during the week when he's with you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">