• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody in GA, ex has drug problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silverwolfe2003

What is the name of your state? GA

I need some legal advice to see how to proceed. My ex husband and I have joint legal custody and I have primary custody of our 12 year old son. My ex has had limited involvement with our son since we divorced (uncontested, self-filed), and has recently(though he has had a history of drug abuse) pled guilty to cocaine possession with 5 years probation/fine/community service/drug rehab ordered. He is entitled to standard visitation but he has chosen not to fulfill his parental responsibilities (including child support). Due to lack of funds, transportation, and a secure household, the times he has seen our son have only been in my home. I would like to make these arrangements legal so that he doesn't have the opportunity to put my son into an unsafe situation. Can I obtain sole custody with supervised visitation without having to seek legal representation? What forms would I need and how may I obtain them? Thanks for any advice!!

Samantha

LdiJ

silverwolfe2003 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I need some legal advice to see how to proceed. My ex husband and I have joint legal custody and I have primary custody of our 12 year old son. My ex has had limited involvement with our son since we divorced (uncontested, self-filed), and has recently(though he has had a history of drug abuse) pled guilty to cocaine possession with 5 years probation/fine/community service/drug rehab ordered. He is entitled to standard visitation but he has chosen not to fulfill his parental responsibilities (including child support). Due to lack of funds, transportation, and a secure household, the times he has seen our son have only been in my home. I would like to make these arrangements legal so that he doesn't have the opportunity to put my son into an unsafe situation. Can I obtain sole custody with supervised visitation without having to seek legal representation? What forms would I need and how may I obtain them? Thanks for any advice!!

Samantha
You may want to consider leaving well enough alone for now. If dad is only exercizing his visitation in your home right now, voluntarily, then it may be wiser to wait and see what happens before proceeding to court.

silverwolfe2003

My concern is that his dad is starting to balk my request that he visit our son at my home. For the past year, he has depended on me for transportation to my house to visit our son (and transportation back home~he lives 30 minutes away). I'm not willing to continue to provide the transportation and only did so initially for the sake of my son who loves his dad. My concern is his most recent arrest and the possibility of him obtaining transportation and my legal grounds to refuse him his current visitation rights. His place of residence has been raided for drugs twice in the past 6 months. Right now, I don't have a legal leg to stand on if he shows up in a car and wants to take my son for the weekend. I don't want to terminate his rights but I want him to have supervised visitation because of his drug problem and unsafe living conditions. I'm searching for GA online custody modification forms. Does anyone know how I can go about asking the judge to change the custody agreement without having to go through a lawyer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Samantha

LdiJ

silverwolfe2003 said:
My concern is that his dad is starting to balk my request that he visit our son at my home. For the past year, he has depended on me for transportation to my house to visit our son (and transportation back home~he lives 30 minutes away). I'm not willing to continue to provide the transportation and only did so initially for the sake of my son who loves his dad. My concern is his most recent arrest and the possibility of him obtaining transportation and my legal grounds to refuse him his current visitation rights. His place of residence has been raided for drugs twice in the past 6 months. Right now, I don't have a legal leg to stand on if he shows up in a car and wants to take my son for the weekend. I don't want to terminate his rights but I want him to have supervised visitation because of his drug problem and unsafe living conditions. I'm searching for GA online custody modification forms. Does anyone know how I can go about asking the judge to change the custody agreement without having to go through a lawyer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Samantha
I see your point. Yes, its probably time to ask for supervised visitation. However, I really don't recommend trying to do this without an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">