• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody for grandparent or aunt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

giantskye

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My niece abandoned her son on my sister's husband's daughter's doorstep about 3 weeks ago. She's called back once after my sister went up to Indiana to pick him up. She was going to come back and get him here and never showed. Now she's called again and says she's going to come for him in two weeks. My sister is going nuts. She putting everything she has into getting this baby back on a schedule and setting up his shots and paying doctor bills because he has had stomach problems since he was born and now has problems with his formula.
My question is: Can we turn the mother in for child abandonment and there a way to get temparary custody with out a lot a legal intanglements? Some laywer my sister has seen wanted 4,000 dollars. Is there a form I can talk my niece into signing until she gets back on her feet? :confused:

B

Boxcarbill

The only way to get legal custody of someone else's child is with a "lot of legal intanglements." This is not a puppy that is being given away. And while custody of a child is not a new car or new carpeting for the home, it is a lot less expensive. If your sister cannot afford the legal fees and other family members cannot or will not chip into the pot and she is not eligible for legal aid services, then she needs to turn the child over to the state and let them have the child and the "legal entanglement" and medical expenses that accompany such and they can present the case to the court as to why the child should not be returned to the mother.

Last edited:

BL

http://www.ilrg.com/forms/auth-tempguardian.html

You might be able to pick a form up at your local Court House to0.

I'm not sure if it's considered abandonment or not , because the child was left with a relative , and since there has been contact.

I'd say however that the fact she keeps stating she's going to pick the child up and doesn't, could give you some grounds to file for legal Temp. guardianship.

If all else fails call your local CPS office and find what your options are, they may file a court Petition, and the Court may award you Guardianship status , and you could pursue medical, living,Etc. expenses through DSS for the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">