• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlemay36

What is the name of your state? massachusetts

my grandson was taken away from my daughter yesterday. i am meeting with dept. of social services tomorrow, along with my daughter and her boyfriend, and my pastor. i want to know if i should have a lawyer with me. or is it okay to go to this meeting without a lawyer?

my grandson is very young 3 months old, and i want to take custody of him while they investigate the situation. my grandson was brought to the hospital with a head injury on saturday, i just want to know what steps i need to take to get custody of my grandson as soon as possible

skyy

I'm moving this up hoping someone has some more helpful answers. I don't know if a lawyer is necessary.

I hope he's okay and things work out for you. I would suggest asking how relative foster care works. Maybe while they investigate the parents, you could be his relative foster parent. If the parents aren't able to care for him later, you may be able to apply for permanent custody.

Good luck

B

Boxcarbill

jlemay36 said:
What is the name of your state? massachusetts

my grandson was taken away from my daughter yesterday. i am meeting with dept. of social services tomorrow, along with my daughter and her boyfriend, and my pastor. i want to know if i should have a lawyer with me. or is it okay to go to this meeting without a lawyer?

my grandson is very young 3 months old, and i want to take custody of him while they investigate the situation. my grandson was brought to the hospital with a head injury on saturday, i just want to know what steps i need to take to get custody of my grandson as soon as possible
You don't need a lawyer but your daughter and her boyfriend do. If this child was removed it is on the basis of suspected child abuse--i.e. suspected child abuse by the treating physicians at the hospital where the child was taken for the head injury. While excuses such as "the child fell out of the high chair" or the child "fell off the sofa while I was changing the diaper" might satisfy friends, neighbor and family, medical doctors are better trained to recognize injury which are inconsistent with the parent's explanation.

Since the child has been placed in the care of the dept of social services, they are legally responsible for the child and as such, social services would have to approve you (entails an investigation) before placing the child with you. Also keep in mind that social services is aware that you are the parent of the mother of the child. That means that they are reluctant to place a child with someone who is related to a suspected abuser because they are concerned that the person will allowing the suspected abuser to have access to the child. And believe me that is exactly what usually happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">