• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody help in indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jandjsmom

What is the name of your state? indiana my question is.... i was told to leave my home by my soon to be ex. i left my kids there with him. we agreed to this for reasons of the kids in school. they are out of school now and i want them to be with me. they are 12 and 14. i have a lawyer,i have signed my papers have not been filed yet, he doesnt know i have a lawyer yet. my son is in summer school and his grandmother is taking him back and forth to school. i want him here but it is imposible to get him to school. my daughter wants to go back and forth between me and my ex and his mother how do i keep them with me until i go to curt and not making them mad at me for keeping them here and how will i defend myself against my ex since i left and he had my kids while they were in school? i am vey worried and upset please give advice on how to handle this thank you

N

njmom

Question?

Has your ex filed for custody?.....Was it a verbal agreement that they stayed with the ex until they finished school?....If there is no order outstanding for custody, I would think you could just file your motion in regards to custody, and take the kids with you, until it is decided in court "what is the best interest of the children". Usually the early bird gets the worm, meaning.....you file your motion for custody first, and more than likely you will retain custody of the children, provided that you have a roof over your head, utlities, etc......Do you and the ex live close enough that the 14 year old can spend part of the week at your house and part at his house?.....If so, maybe you can have that drawn up in the court documents......I hope I have been of a little help to you, and if not, im sure one of these outstanding folks could help you more......Good Luck!

N

njmom

me again

Don't feel as though you did the wrong thing and now you have to defend yourself, you did the right thing by not up-rooting them from their school in the middle of a school year......The same thing happened to me years ago, I was living with a b/f, and it was his house, so obviously, I had to go, in the meantime i let my daughters stay with the father, I signed papers stating that I gave him temporary custody, until I got on my feet, and he would not give them back to me, we went to court and eventually I got them back. Thats why I asked in the previous post if it was verbal or in writing, its much easier to get them back if it was verbal instead of in writing. One plus you have, is an attorney, which many people don't have, so don't worry about how you are going to defend yourself.....let the attorney do the talking, thats what you are paying him for!

J

jandjsmom

thank you so much for your input. i am so afraid i will lose my kids. they are my life and i cannt lose them. i am in another town right now its about a 20 minute drive. im going ahead ahve my lawyer file the papers on monday. i need to do it before he does. thanks again

N

njmom

just me

You're welcome.....Don't be afraid, you will be ok......you just need to be the first to file those papers, and whatever you do keep your mouth shut around the children, sometimes they try to be loyal to both parents, and they will tell what you are planning on doing, believe me, ive been there done that and i dont do it anymore. So basically what i am getting from your post, is that there is no custody arrangements as of yet, and if that is the case, it is on a first come first serve basis......which is a good thing because it would be a lot harder for you to get them back, if you committed to something with him......KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, AND YOU WILL BE FINE!!!....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">