• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody and Mental Illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcweb

What is the name of your state? IL
I am leaving my husband soon (friday)...he is mentally illl--has been in mental hospitial twice due to delusions and psychosis but never officially diagnosed as he refused any followup...2 weeks ago the police came to our house to remove a gun and large knife (he had threatened to kill me)...he was put in mental hospital and informed them he was just having bad dreams--they released him. He was not having bad dreams he was highly delusional as I had to listen to him talk about these delusions for hours. I want sole custody of our children..he may try to fight me...what role does mental illness play in custody issues? Also I am scared he can "fool" the judge as he did the doctors.
Thanks for any advice

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jcweb said:
What is the name of your state? IL
I am leaving my husband soon (friday)...he is mentally illl--has been in mental hospitial twice due to delusions and psychosis but never officially diagnosed as he refused any followup...2 weeks ago the police came to our house to remove a gun and large knife (he had threatened to kill me)...he was put in mental hospital and informed them he was just having bad dreams--they released him. He was not having bad dreams he was highly delusional as I had to listen to him talk about these delusions for hours. I want sole custody of our children..he may try to fight me...what role does mental illness play in custody issues? Also I am scared he can "fool" the judge as he did the doctors.
Thanks for any advice

My response:

See a local Family Law attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">