• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody modification help asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommamea

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Maryland

I hope someone can give me some advice. My x and i have joint custody of our child (7yrs). I just received a summons, he is taking me to court to obtain sole custody. His accusations are FALSE! Has accused me of doing drugs among many other unbelieveable things. How can he do this when obviously he has no grounds to prove such a thing? Do i have to financially pay for this? Does anyone know how this works? I am seeing a lawyer next week but it is driving me crazy thinking i have to go through something so demeaning as this.

LdiJ

mommamea said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Maryland

I hope someone can give me some advice. My x and i have joint custody of our child (7yrs). I just received a summons, he is taking me to court to obtain sole custody. His accusations are FALSE! Has accused me of doing drugs among many other unbelieveable things. How can he do this when obviously he has no grounds to prove such a thing? Do i have to financially pay for this? Does anyone know how this works? I am seeing a lawyer next week but it is driving me crazy thinking i have to go through something so demeaning as this.

Ok...take a big deep breath. The burden of proof is on him and if its all lies he is going to end up making a fool of himself in court. Try not to dwell on it too much until you can speak to the attorney. You can certainly request that he be ordered to pay your legal fees. If his accusations are truly groundless a judge might very well order him to pay.

mommamea

custody modification

Thank you for your advice. I took a deep breath and feel alittle more at ease. Still burning question is...what about if he has his girlfriend (whom he left me for after 13 yrs of marriage) or bar buddies lie for him (which i hear he is planning on)?? I would think the court would not go on hearsay! I live in a small town and don't do much, he is a bartender with alot of regulars so alot gets back to me. Just scared, i have never had to prove my innocence before...maybe i watch too many movies.
Any more advice to get me through the next 8 days?

mommamea

LdiJ said:
Ok...take a big deep breath. The burden of proof is on him and if its all lies he is going to end up making a fool of himself in court. Try not to dwell on it too much until you can speak to the attorney. You can certainly request that he be ordered to pay your legal fees. If his accusations are truly groundless a judge might very well order him to pay.
Thank you for your advice. I took a deep breath and feel alittle more at ease. Still burning question is...what about if he has his girlfriend (whom he left me for after 13 yrs of marriage) or bar buddies lie for him (which i hear he is planning on)?? I would think the court would not go on hearsay! I live in a small town and don't do much, he is a bartender with alot of regulars so alot gets back to me. Just scared, i have never had to prove my innocence before...maybe i watch too many movies.

LdiJ

mommamea said:
Have you been arrested for any drug related activities? Are there police reports showing domestic violence or drug issues at your home? Has CPS found you to be neglectful or abusive to your child? Do you have a boyfriend with a serious criminal record?..particularly when it comes to children? How many witnesses do you have to the fact that you don't do much of anything? Seriously, unless you think that you can't pass a drug test (which a judge is unlikely to even order without the kind of outside evidence that I mentioned above) or unless there are other serious issues related to your home, you really don't have anything to worry about.

When push comes to shove his girlfriend may be willing to lie for him in court (and she won't be considered to be impartial) but its not all that likely that his bar-buddies will....nor would a judge take them very seriously.

mommamea

thanks

LdiJ said:
Have you been arrested for any drug related activities? Are there police reports showing domestic violence or drug issues at your home? Has CPS found you to be neglectful or abusive to your child? Do you have a boyfriend with a serious criminal record?..particularly when it comes to children? How many witnesses do you have to the fact that you don't do much of anything? Seriously, unless you think that you can't pass a drug test (which a judge is unlikely to even order without the kind of outside evidence that I mentioned above) or unless there are other serious issues related to your home, you really don't have anything to worry about.

When push comes to shove his girlfriend may be willing to lie for him in court (and she won't be considered to be impartial) but its not all that likely that his bar-buddies will....nor would a judge take them very seriously.
AHH...i can sleep tonite angel!
The answer to all the questions....a big "NO" My friends and family know me and am sure if i need and would just ask they would go to bat with me. Don't know why i let him get to me, guess trust is a hard thing to let go of. Thank you for your words of wisdom. Wish me luck and god bless!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">