• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody and my 15 year old daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moluvsty

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have full custoday of my daughter and have been divorced from her father since she was 2 years old. She visits with him regulary and he lives 79 miles away. She has been asking to live with dad for the last 2 years. Typical teenager thinks the grass is greener. I agreed this past summer that she would go. Did not want to put up a fight. She started school this year. He has never modified anything including child support which I continue to receive. I in turn give it back to him each time it is deposited into my account. I have reminded him on several occassions that if she were to continue to live there, he needed to see to it that child support was modified. Last week he went to the courthouse in Hendricks county and filed a Minute sheet/Order requesting legal custody of her and also stated that support is being sent to me. What steps should I take. I know I need to show up to the court room. I don't want to relingish my custody altogether. Should I file a form as well with the courts stating such. Also, do I state something regarding support or do I wait to get in the courtroom. Am I cutting my own throat doing this ourselves or should I hire an attorney. I would agree for her to live with him. But I don't want to love my rights of custoday. Joint maybe? I have considered trying to get her to come back to live with me but am afraid the judge would let her decide anyways where she wants to be and I know she would say Dad's. He allows her to have much more freedoms that I would and we found that he doesn't have sames rules as myself. Please offer me some advice. Don't know where to turn at this point and not a whole lot of monies to throw into a ring. Thank you in advance!

GrowUp!

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have full custoday of my daughter and have been divorced from her father since she was 2 years old. She visits with him regulary and he lives 79 miles away. She has been asking to live with dad for the last 2 years. Typical teenager thinks the grass is greener. I agreed this past summer that she would go. Did not want to put up a fight. She started school this year. He has never modified anything including child support which I continue to receive. I in turn give it back to him each time it is deposited into my account. I have reminded him on several occassions that if she were to continue to live there, he needed to see to it that child support was modified. Last week he went to the courthouse in Hendricks county and filed a Minute sheet/Order requesting legal custody of her and also stated that support is being sent to me. What steps should I take. I know I need to show up to the court room. I don't want to relingish my custody altogether. Should I file a form as well with the courts stating such. Also, do I state something regarding support or do I wait to get in the courtroom. Am I cutting my own throat doing this ourselves or should I hire an attorney. I would agree for her to live with him. But I don't want to love my rights of custoday. Joint maybe? I have considered trying to get her to come back to live with me but am afraid the judge would let her decide anyways where she wants to be and I know she would say Dad's. He allows her to have much more freedoms that I would and we found that he doesn't have sames rules as myself. Please offer me some advice. Don't know where to turn at this point and not a whole lot of monies to throw into a ring. Thank you in advance!
He doesn't have to have the same rules you do. You have no control over his parenting styles and vice versa. You need to file a response stating that you agree to give him residential custody. Also, file a parenting plan asking for joint legal (unless you both had it already) and that the parenting plan simply "flips" and support is ordered per the guidelines.

If you two can simply do that amongst yourself and file it with the court in a timely matter, the Court shouldn't have a problem signing off on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">