• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of neice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wheelerrandi

What is the name of your state? kentucky/ohio

First of all my husband and I have custody of His 3 daughters ages 11, 10, and 6. Now we are about to get custody of his neice with her mothers consent. Just wondering how we need to go about this b/c we dont want a tempory custody agreement and the mother has agreed to sign her over to us with the knowledge that we want her permanently. I need to know if a lawyer is needed b/c we DO have to file papers to the court, and what the papers should contain.

by the way she lives in ohio right now and we live in kentucky.

LdiJ

wheelerrandi said:
What is the name of your state? kentucky/ohio

First of all my husband and I have custody of His 3 daughters ages 11, 10, and 6. Now we are about to get custody of his neice with her mothers consent. Just wondering how we need to go about this b/c we dont want a tempory custody agreement and the mother has agreed to sign her over to us with the knowledge that we want her permanently. I need to know if a lawyer is needed b/c we DO have to file papers to the court, and what the papers should contain.

by the way she lives in ohio right now and we live in kentucky.
It would probably be best to get an attorney (one in Ohio). If everyone is in agreement the cost should be relatively low.

wheelerrandi

Thanks! I will start looking for a lawyer in ohio today.

As for adoption we would love to BUT dont think her mother would go for that b/c she says she still would like visitation. I believe the way it is going to go is us having full custody with her having visitations

wheelerrandi

Dad has nothing to do with her. He just started to pay child support and the mother told him if he agreed with this he wouldn't have to pay anymore so he's all for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">