• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of neice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimari

What is the name of your state? FLorida
My spouse and I (unmarried, living together 13 yrs) want to seek custody of my 10 yr old neice. She is currently living with us because her mother (my sister) can't take care of her. The child has lived with us before, for approx. 2 years the last time. Each time she goes to live with her mom, she is left alone, does bad in school and does not get proper medical treatment. The child has been back with us just a month now and we can provide medical and dental insurance, a stable home and consistantcy and security. Her mother can provide nothing. Her father is disabled and has never paid child support, nor is he able to support or care for her.
We want to know if we stand a chance of getting custody, and how do we go about it? Under no circumstances do I want my neice taken out of the only real homelife she's ever known and taken into a temporary situation until this is resolved. She is the most important concern here and she has been through enough in her life already with an alcoholic father and drug abusing mother. ANy help to steer us in the right direction, or advice on how to ensure the safety and well-being of my neice is greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

Kimari said:
What is the name of your state? FLorida
My spouse and I (unmarried, living together 13 yrs) want to seek custody of my 10 yr old neice. She is currently living with us because her mother (my sister) can't take care of her. The child has lived with us before, for approx. 2 years the last time. Each time she goes to live with her mom, she is left alone, does bad in school and does not get proper medical treatment. The child has been back with us just a month now and we can provide medical and dental insurance, a stable home and consistantcy and security. Her mother can provide nothing. Her father is disabled and has never paid child support, nor is he able to support or care for her.
We want to know if we stand a chance of getting custody, and how do we go about it? Under no circumstances do I want my neice taken out of the only real homelife she's ever known and taken into a temporary situation until this is resolved. She is the most important concern here and she has been through enough in her life already with an alcoholic father and drug abusing mother. ANy help to steer us in the right direction, or advice on how to ensure the safety and well-being of my neice is greatly appreciated.
You either need to get the parents to consent to you having custody, or you are going to have to wait. Your best shot at getting custody (without their consent) would be after the child has lived with you again for a significant period of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">