• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody and new relationships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bassettaggie

Can having a relationship with someone be used to prove a mother unfit. I have been dating and am awaiting a final hearing date. My ex says he will use this to prove me unfit because we have taken our (his and mine) kids to the movies, ball games, etc. and that this is wrong behavior. My ex is on probation for DWI and we have two daughters ages 9 and 6. I have been told you can live with someone and still retain custody of your children. True or not?

MySonsMom

You aren't "unfit" if you are seeing someone. Just as long as this other person is not a threat to you or the children, you are fine. (ie: past history) And as long as he is not doing anything to the children.

One thing I should add is..Are you still legally married? If so, I would cool it on the "obvious dating". It doesn't look good in the eyes of the judge to be publically dating while still married.

But all in all, you can't be proven unfit on the sole basis of seeing someone.

Good luck!

Ambr

I don't know if you are already divorced or if you are just going through it.

If you are still married, I agree with the other poster. You need to cool it on the obvious dating.

I have something similiar. I am engaged, but not re-married. My fiance and I have a daughter together. I have two children from my previous marriage. Neither of us are in a hurry to remarry. (He has been divorced also.) In the words of my attorney - if you aren't married, it is best that he doesn't live within the home. It can be an issue during the custody case.

It's not an issue that can't be fought out, but it can be a problem. We are discussing now rather we should move the date up. We planned on being married this December. I never got a big wedding the first time and I had it all planned. my grandmother's house. She has this big glass addition to her house, kind of like a sun room. I wanted that with the snow falling as a background. My son as the ring bearer and my daughters as the flower girls. His son was going to be the best man. And my father actually walking me down the aisle. Now it looks like I will probably get a quickie wedding within the next month or two. In front of a judge. Not what I wanted, but I want my kids more.

Keep us updated and good luck!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">