• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of newborn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daddyof3

What is the name of your state? new york my ex and i are about to have a baby boy, and she wants me to have custody. how do we go about this, can i take the child home from the hospital, or do we have to go to court first? any info would be helpful, thanks

NotSoNew

um you can take the child home with you if mom isnt opposed to it. if she wants you to have custody you can both go down to the court house and agree to it, or work up an agreement and bring it to the court house for a judge to sign.

LdiJ

daddyof3 said:
What is the name of your state? new york my ex and i are about to have a baby boy, and she wants me to have custody. how do we go about this, can i take the child home from the hospital, or do we have to go to court first? any info would be helpful, thanks
First, you would have to sign the affidavit of paternity at the hospital to establish yourself as dad. Mom would also have to release the child to you.

You would also need a trip to court....

In all reality it would probably be best for you to get an attorney involved.

Please realize however that mom may change her mind after going through birth....so be prepared for that. The hospital in particular will question her seriously on that issue.

D

daddyof3

hospital should butt out

why is this any of the hospital's business? this is between me and my son's mother. and i do have an attorney ready to file the papers, i told my ex she can see the baby anytime.

She will need that in writing, and you need to abide by that. Its been my expierence "You can see the child anytime" is often meant to mean never.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">