• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of niece

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aislinn20t

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I have been thinking a lot lately about getting partial custody of my 5 month old niece. She is not taken care of at home and is constantly being dragged from home to home by her parents. She needs a stable environment and someone who actually knows how to take care of her. Her mother, my sister, has been in and out of jail since she had the baby and can barely hold a job. Her live-in boyfriend, the baby's father, is younger than my sister by 3 years and was recently put in jail for selling drugs.

My question is, how do I, or can I go about getting partial custody of this beautiful baby girl? If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

snostar

You can file for custody, but in order to get custody you will have to prove BOTH parents are currently unfit. As long as the child's basic needs are met and the child is not in danger a court will not give custody to a legal stranger. If you have good reason to believe the child's safety is at stake call Child Protective Services and file a report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">