• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Rights of unwed Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunny12

What is the name of your state? Fl

I am trying to renew passports for my children. The laws here require that I get permission from the father. I was never married to the father of my children. He chose to have nothing to do with them from the time of their birth and it is now 7 years later. I have no idea where he lives. One of the exceptions to requiring his consent is if I can prove I have sole custody. I believe that Florida laws give automatic custody to the unwed mother if no legal document says otherwise. I have only one legal document stating that the children reside with me but mentions nothing on custody. And there has never been a custody hearing. So, does that mean I have sole custody? If so , is there a specific statute that I can refer to? :confused:What is the name of your state?

ceara19

What is the name of your state? Fl

I am trying to renew passports for my children. The laws here require that I get permission from the father. I was never married to the father of my children. He chose to have nothing to do with them from the time of their birth and it is now 7 years later. I have no idea where he lives. One of the exceptions to requiring his consent is if I can prove I have sole custody. I believe that Florida laws give automatic custody to the unwed mother if no legal document says otherwise. I have only one legal document stating that the children reside with me but mentions nothing on custody. And there has never been a custody hearing. So, does that mean I have sole custody? If so , is there a specific statute that I can refer to? :confused:What is the name of your state?
Even with a statute spelling out that an unwed mother automatically has sole custody, you would be stuck trying to prove that no court orders exist. It can be very difficult to prove a negative.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ask the court for an order allowing you to renew your passports and send that in with the passport application. If proper paternity for dad has not been set you should not have to list dad on the first filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">