• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody for Surviving Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ijborges

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My brother-in-law has a daughter out of wedlock. When his ex had the baby, she put her then-husband on the birth certificate as the father. He has had nothing to do with the child. Also, apparently the birth certificate names the child with the surname of my brother-in-law. I am told this was done for insurance purposes. In any event, the mother of this 8-year-old passed away Friday and my brother-in-law, who has had his daughter every weekend, and often during the week, wants to get custody of his daughter. What are his options? Thank you.
IJBorges

mona vaughn

brother-in-law

First see if daddy on the Birth record will sign her over to the real daddy. so he can keep her the easy way. Are spend lots and lots of money fighting it. I am sure the mother side of the family will take the little girl and dad can pick her up from there if nothing else.

LdiJ

ijborges said:
What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My brother-in-law has a daughter out of wedlock. When his ex had the baby, she put her then-husband on the birth certificate as the father. He has had nothing to do with the child. Also, apparently the birth certificate names the child with the surname of my brother-in-law. I am told this was done for insurance purposes. In any event, the mother of this 8-year-old passed away Friday and my brother-in-law, who has had his daughter every weekend, and often during the week, wants to get custody of his daughter. What are his options? Thank you.
IJBorges
He needs to file to establish paternity...and then file for custody. As long as DNA proves him to be the father, he should have little difficulty getting custody. He really should get an attorney if at all possible.

Shay-Pari'e

mona vaughn said:
First see if daddy on the Birth record will sign her over to the real daddy. so he can keep her the easy way. Are spend lots and lots of money fighting it. I am sure the mother side of the family will take the little girl and dad can pick her up from there if nothing else.
Umm, do you know what the heck your talking about?

ijborges

Surviving Parent

LdiJ said:
He needs to file to establish paternity...and then file for custody. As long as DNA proves him to be the father, he should have little difficulty getting custody. He really should get an attorney if at all possible.
Okay. That is what I will suggest. The mother's family has no problem with him taking custody. They know that he has been taking care of her since she was born. It is a screwy situation, yes, but we are pretty sure there will be no problem with either side of the family. I have visited with the mother's side and they said they expected my brother-in-law to raise his daughter. I am just checking to see what steps he needs to take to make things legal for him and his daughter. Thanks for the advise.

IJBorges

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">