• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of unrelated minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serenity687

California - I have a friend who will be 18 in March. His father kicked him out 1 1/2 months ago and his mother is out of state. She agrees to let us house him so that he can stay in the same school. We would like to have him live with us but avoid legal problems. Any advice on the necessary procedure? PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited:

Who has custody? Have that person sign over guardianship. i have also heard that it is possible to file a report witht he police to state that the child is living with you and give notice to both parents ie registered mail, although sounds like mom wouldn't be a problem anyway. But in that case if dad ever claims child is a runaway you can't get in trouble, but that doesn't help if he needs anything from school signed so I would go with the guardianship. Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">