• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody & visit issues state to state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirednoverit

What is the name of your state? AZ

I moved from VA approx 8 months ago. We have joint custody. I informed her dad (in writing) that we were leaving to AZ. We VERBALLY discussed visitation which I was VERY open to. Summer, spring break, holidays, you name it. I just rec'd a show cause summons for failing to obey an order for visitation & cust in 2002. Do I have anything to defend myself but the letter I wrote? I sent out a 2nd letter and copied the VA courts with my new address shortly after ariving in AZ. I guess I thought her father and I could take care of this without dragging it through court and wasting good tax payers $$$. Can I get all this visitation, custody, child support, etc... moved to AZ since it's been 8 months? My big question is why now after 8 months? Is he or his wife pissed that I asked for a modification in child support?

Zephyr

Is he or his wife pissed that I asked for a modification in child support?

if his motion is coming right after the cs mod request, I would guess yes

I would also guess you will be paying almost all of the transportation costs involved with kiddos going to dad's...so in the end you may end up with less money in your pocket

tirednoverit

What does the "show cause summons" actually say?

You herby are commanded to summon forewith the respondent to appear before this court .... to show cause, if any, why respondent should not, pursuant to

-be imprisoned until the respondent complies with the court order or be fines for

failure to obey an order dated **/**/2002 ordering custody and visitation

Silverplum

You herby are commanded to summon forewith the respondent to appear before this court .... to show cause, if any, why respondent should not, pursuant to

-be imprisoned until the respondent complies with the court order or be fines for

I'm quite sure you've done the wrong thing wrt the State; now Dad's mad at you, too.

But these are violations from 2002???

ProSeDadinMD

Ok, so you haven’t been following the legally binding court order. You writing a “letter” doesn’t change anything.

You need to go, or get a lawyer in VA to go for you.

Zephyr

how much written notice did you give dad of your move? and what did your previous order state about relocation?

Zephyr

100 % correct.

"Write a letter," indeed. That's not how you handle a court order. :rolleyes:
she provided notice as required by the court order.....I'm not so sure she's in as much trouble as she otherwise may have been- dad certainly had the opportunity to object to the move KNOWING how it would impact regular visits, he did not prevent or contest the move...he did nothing until he was asked for more money

I wonder if he can prove he tried to exercise his parenting time.....

.....consulting my crystal ball**************I see it coming to not much and them getting a new order out of the deal to reflect the new distance and transportation.....

Silverplum

she provided notice as required by the court order.....I'm not so sure she's in as much trouble as she otherwise may have been- dad certainly had the opportunity to object to the move KNOWING how it would impact regular visits, he did not prevent or contest the move...he did nothing until he was asked for more money

I wonder if he can prove he tried to exercise his parenting time.....

.....consulting my crystal ball**************I see it coming to not much and them getting a new order out of the deal to reflect the new distance and transportation.....
Sure, you could very well be right.

But OP was pretty vague, has an attorney, and "wrote a letter" to the court. I don't think we're getting the whole story, and I really don't think she did the move properly. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">