• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of younger siblings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keyeomega

How do I go about getting custody of my two little sisters? My mom has been proven upfit but she still has custody of them. The girls are not in the best hands with her, and aren't provided for the way they should be. I'm currently in the United States Air Force and have the means to support them. Would getting custody of them be hard?

keyeomega

She's been proven unfit by child services, but she is under watch, meaning that they monitor pretty much everything she does. I still don't like them with her, but nothing I can really do at the moment.

dannyt

dad has rights

How do I go about getting custody of my two little sisters? My mom has been proven upfit but she still has custody of them. The girls are not in the best hands with her, and aren't provided for the way they should be. I'm currently in the United States Air Force and have the means to support them. Would getting custody of them be hard?
where is dad? he is first in line for custody.

Isis1

She's been proven unfit by child services, but she is under watch, meaning that they monitor pretty much everything she does. I still don't like them with her, but nothing I can really do at the moment.
then she isn't unfit. if she were unfit, the children would have been taken to foster care immediately.

she was given a parenting plan. they'll hold her hand through it.

and what is the name of your state? what state do the children live in?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
then she isn't unfit. if she were unfit, the children would have been taken to foster care immediately.

she was given a parenting plan. they'll hold her hand through it.

and what is the name of your state? what state do the children live in?
If she were unfit her rights would have been terminated.

keyeomega

Their dad is in jail, has been for 5 years. So he's completely out of the picture. In my opinion shes unfit. The girls don't want to be with her at all, and she doesn't understand the concept of being a mother. She was 14 when I was born, and a when I was 5 months old she got pregnant with my brother. She drops the girls off at my grandmothers house all the time, and leaves for weeks on end. She has no job, and she's an alcoholic. I'm sorry but I don't want them growing up to that like I had too. They deserve better than that.

Isis1

Their dad is in jail, has been for 5 years. So he's completely out of the picture. In my opinion shes unfit. The girls don't want to be with her at all, and she doesn't understand the concept of being a mother. She was 14 when I was born, and a when I was 5 months old she got pregnant with my brother. She drops the girls off at my grandmothers house all the time, and leaves for weeks on end. She has no job, and she's an alcoholic. I'm sorry but I don't want them growing up to that like I had too. They deserve better than that.
what is the name of your state? in what state do the children reside?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOUR OPINION does NOT matter. Alcoholics and the unemployed are able to be parents. She is NOT unfit until a court says so. If grandma is concerned and has the children, she can petition for custody. How old are you? How old are they? Where was your grandmother when her 14 year old was on her second pregnancy?

Isis1

Both maternal, but grandma can't take them. She can't afford to keep them.
you can't have two maternal grandma's. social services will help grandma get the funding she needs if it comes down to displacing the children. or the children can go to foster care.

you being out of state, doesn't help you. social services is about reunification with the custodial parent. they will give mom time to complete a more rigorous parenting plan should they decide to even remove the children.

how old are you? are you deployable? are you married?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">