• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad and guns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noguns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Caliifornia

I have two children ages 6 and 7 who recently came home after a weekend and their dads house and told me that he took them out to shoot guns. I am not against them learning gun safety but I think that they are way too young to be shooting them.

Another problem I have with this is that my son recently has had some emotional problems and had said that he wants to kill himself. He knows that his dad has a gun and knows exactly where it is. It is very scary that he is teaching them how to fire and letting them shoot real guns.

Does he have the right to take them out shooting even if I have asked him not too considering their age and emotional status?

2Mistakes

I have two children ages 6 and 7 who recently came home after a weekend and their dads house and told me that he took them out to shoot guns. I am not against them learning gun safety but I think that they are way too young to be shooting them.

Another problem I have with this is that my son recently has had some emotional problems and had said that he wants to kill himself. He knows that his dad has a gun and knows exactly where it is. It is very scary that he is teaching them how to fire and letting them shoot real guns.

Does he have the right to take them out shooting even if I have asked him not too considering their age and emotional status?
Yes, dad can take them shooting on his time.

I shot a gun for the 1st time when I was 6. My father-in-law took my son and step-daughter shooting when they were 5 and 6 respectively. They go hunting with him every year.

As far as your child having emotional problems and saying he wants to kill himself: You need to get your child to a mental health professional like yesterday.

penelope10

Does Dad know the depth of you child's depression? (To me, a child of 6 or 7 stating that they wish to end their life is pretty scary).. Are you seeking professional help for the kiddo/kiddos?

I'm from Tx and shooting off guns is often viewed as a bonding experience between Dads and sons. (And NO I'm not for or against gun ownership). However, this scenario is a little different since you have a child that has expressed a desire to end his own life. You and Dad need to sit down and have a real heart to heart about your son IMO.

There are other ways for Dad to bond with kiddos. Like fishing, golf, model airplane building etc. Hopefully your ex has a gun safe. (And if not may want to plan on buying one in the future).

noguns

Yes I did seek medical help for my son the day he expressed that he wanted to kill himself, this was about a year ago. His father is aware of the situation and was present when we spoke to a psychologist. My son is in ongoing therapy every other week.

sometwo

They start showing kids how to fire a bb gun pretty young in boy scouts .

I might address with the dad , maybe making sure the guns are locked up when not in use and out of reach of children.

penelope10

Yes I have seeked medical help for my son the day he expressed that he wanted to kill himself, this was about a year ago. His father is aware of the situation and was present when we spoke to a phychologist. My son is in ongoing therapy every other week.
Have you sat down with the ex (and been non judgmental) in regards to the fact that the mixture of guns plus your son scares you? Is your son currently seeing a psychologist, and if not why did he stop?

Also does the ex own a gun safe?

casa

Yes I did seek medical help for my son the day he expressed that he wanted to kill himself, this was about a year ago. His father is aware of the situation and was present when we spoke to a psychologist. My son is in ongoing therapy every other week.
Contact the child's Psychologist & explain the situation. If the psychologist believes the child's genuinely suicidal, they can advise against gun recreation at this point &/or more importantly- contact Dad re; their concerns. THEN, there will be something to enforce in court if it comes to that.

noguns

Yes my son is currently in therapy and has been going for the last year. As for talking to his dad it's a little difficult. When I try to talk to him he gets very defensive and says that I'm being ridiculous.

I am not sure if he owns a guns safe as he refuses to answer any questions I have for him.

penelope10

Yes my son is currently in therapy and has been going for the last year. As for talking to his dad it's a little difficult. When I try to talk to him he gets very defensive and says that I'm being ridiculous.

I am not sure if he owns a guns safe as he refuses to answer any questions I have for him.
I think that you should then follow casa's advice. Speak to your son's psychologist about this, etc.

onebreath

Ditto Casa's advice...talk to the professional. The questions I don't hear getting address are not the act of shooting for sport with dad, but what happens to gun safety in between the sessions. That is the conversation you need to have....is dad teaching child gun safety, locking up the guns and holding the key, etc. I only say that as son is talking....common sense tells me son needs both parents on his team, taking his words seriously. But I am idealistic...thats what I would push for until someone takes you seriously and makes that recommendation to the dad.

tuffbrk

I agree too. Not for anything but at 6 and7 yo most children don't understand the finality of death. Shooting may help bring home to the child exactly what happens when someone is dead.

A child of that age expressing the desire to commit suicide certainly needs counseling. Whether they really wanted to die, wanted to gain some attention, were upset/miserable/mad and didn't truly understand what "suicide" meant, etc - regardless they need counseling! It's great that you and Dad agreed on that at least!

Good luck to you...

P.S. I was shooting at 5 yo myself..

Zephyr

Had my 6 yo daughter out shooting the .22 rifle a few weekends ago....

I would take casa's advice though

LdiJ

I have avoided responding to this thread, because I have such strong opinions on guns in a house where children live. Therefore I cannot be objective.

However, I am going to throw this out there.

Unless guns are kept unloaded, and in a locked gun safe or cabinet, I think that only a fool of a parent keeps guns in a house with children...and I am not sure that a locked gun safe or cabinet is even good enough.

As to having children learn to fire guns at 6 or 7...I am not even going to go there.

Before my daughter was born I had a little 22 automatic and a gun permit. I got rid of it before my daughter started walking and I have never had a gun in the house since, and never will have one as long as there is a child in my house.

If a family lives rural and hunts for food, the rules are obviously different. If a family has a working farm with livestock the rules are very likely different as well.

No foreign army could ever occupy the United States because the people have the right to bear arms...and I don't want that changed.

However, I won't have a gun in a house I live in, if children also live or there...even part time.

xylene

Gun "safe"

I knew the combination to the gun safe and the house safe at age 8.

Parents are stupid to think a child is not able to observe the combination being entered or find its 'secret' written down place.

My parents did not know until I was 20 that I could open both of these safes (when I told them) and still don't know that I had inventoried their contents, and had played with loaded rifles to impress my boyfriends...

That was an 8 year olds caper, so yeah, guns + suicidal ideation in child = mistake

penelope10

As I have stated, I'm not for or against guns. I have many guy friends that love to hunt and hunt with their kiddos. However, as far as I know, none of their children have expressed a desire to commit suicide. (I'm taking this as a guns safety issue, and not anti hunting or shooting).

I have been pretty open on this forum as to the fact that I am a Mother whose child chose to end his own life. I can tell you with absolute certainty that if I had firearms at my home, be it a handgun or rifle, those weapons would be secured in a gun safe. And I'd make absolutely sure that kiddo had no way to know the combination.(And for those that are curious, my son did not shoot himself).

I think that casa gave excellent advice. Since Mom does not feel that Dad may take her concerns seriously, the next step would be to speak to her child's counselor. Counselor will then speak to Dad as is necessary.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">