• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad required to pay my pregnancy medical bills... but how?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

To be more specific about my exact question. . . why can't we just have the medical bills totaled up and then a judgment granted for that dollar amount? That's what I'm trying to understand. . . .
There is a logical reason why you are not legally entitled to receive an award of judgment against "dad" for the unpaid medical bills. You are not the owner of those accounts receivable, the care providers are the owners.

In any event it would not prevent the care providers from recovering a like money judgment against one or both of you. You may find some oddities in the law, but they are not that odd!

Your attempt to compare such a judgment with the family court awarding legal fees is not analogous. The difference is that in the latter the court is exercising a judicial discretion afforded by statute. And there are no statutes or case precedents authorizing a family court to award one spouse/parent a judgment against the other for an obligation owed to a third party.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">