• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dads an @$$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cirrus0306

What is the name of your state? Kansas
My parents divorced 15 years ago, it was very bitter and ugly. I'm looking for comments about my brother....Trust me, this part is important... in Kindergarten, bro was held back (dyslexia) and in 7th grade dad chose to hold him back. He could have passed, dad made the choice to do this. When he was about 12 my dad bribed my brother w/ the promise of a horse if bro would live w/ dad. there was nothing legal stating the horse would belong to bro. Dad took mom to court for child support. 1 other bro stayed w/ mom (was under 18). Dad moved w/ bro, 3-1/2 siblings and stepmom to Colorado. That is 6 people in a 1 bedroom house he is buying. When bro turned 18, dad sued mom for more child support since bro was still in high school due to being held back. Court ordered mom to pay until bro was 19 bcuz he was held back in kindergarten. If this is bad enough, but here is where it really gets me. When they moved to this house, my bro bought a truck w/ camper top and had an electric cord run to truck for heat. (since there wasn't enough room in house for all 6 people) Later we learned even more, Dad has been charging bro 100/mo to take care of the horse that wasn't legally his before he turned 18. Also, the day bro turned 18 dad started charging bro "lot rent" even tho he was collecting support from mom. In the end, bro couldn't afford to live there anymore and had to move. Dad says bro still owed rent, and as payment for rent, he "took" bro's horse away, even tho dad had been making profits off of stud fees and bro was paying for the maintenance of horse. I have a couple of questions, 1 is what dad did to bro legal (in Colorado), and would the state see 5 people living in a 1 bdrm home unfit? other siblings are 11,8, and 4. I would like to see them away from dad if possible. I love dad, but he is a lousy father. I know this is long, but didn't know what would be important to know. Dad is not abusive to kids w/ stepmom, he was only abusive to us bcuz he hates mom so much he took it out on us. Please give some advise. thanks!!

B

Boxcarbill

cirrus0306 said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas
My parents divorced 15 years ago, it was very bitter and ugly. I'm looking for comments about my brother....Trust me, this part is important... in Kindergarten, bro was held back (dyslexia) and in 7th grade dad chose to hold him back. He could have passed, dad made the choice to do this. When he was about 12 my dad bribed my brother w/ the promise of a horse if bro would live w/ dad. there was nothing legal stating the horse would belong to bro. Dad took mom to court for child support. 1 other bro stayed w/ mom (was under 18). Dad moved w/ bro, 3-1/2 siblings and stepmom to Colorado. That is 6 people in a 1 bedroom house he is buying. When bro turned 18, dad sued mom for more child support since bro was still in high school due to being held back. Court ordered mom to pay until bro was 19 bcuz he was held back in kindergarten. If this is bad enough, but here is where it really gets me. When they moved to this house, my bro bought a truck w/ camper top and had an electric cord run to truck for heat. (since there wasn't enough room in house for all 6 people) Later we learned even more, Dad has been charging bro 100/mo to take care of the horse that wasn't legally his before he turned 18. Also, the day bro turned 18 dad started charging bro "lot rent" even tho he was collecting support from mom. In the end, bro couldn't afford to live there anymore and had to move. Dad says bro still owed rent, and as payment for rent, he "took" bro's horse away, even tho dad had been making profits off of stud fees and bro was paying for the maintenance of horse. I have a couple of questions, 1 is what dad did to bro legal (in Colorado), and would the state see 5 people living in a 1 bdrm home unfit? other siblings are 11,8, and 4. I would like to see them away from dad if possible. I love dad, but he is a lousy father. I know this is long, but didn't know what would be important to know. Dad is not abusive to kids w/ stepmom, he was only abusive to us bcuz he hates mom so much he took it out on us. Please give some advise. thanks!!
You learned well. Get back at Dad by having the 4,8, and 11 year old children removed from their parents and placed in foster care.

C

ChevyGirl

I agree. Call the DFS Hotline for the state of Colorado and tell them about those kids living in that small house. And don't just say that, tell them all kids of horrible things. That is the only way to get them to check the house out. Even though you might make up a few things, that is what it usually takes to get DFS to help. And besides, do you want those kids to be treated the way that you and your brother were treated?

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

When I was reading this, it kinda sounded like he was trying to teach the son about responsibilty (altho a little extreme)
and you said he's not abusive. So maybe you're feeling a bit outraged on your mom's behalf??

C

cirrus0306

Here is another concern, lets say CPS goes in, finds it unsuitable and they are taken away. I spent about 5 years on and off in foster care. I love the kids and I don't want to see that happen to them. What are the chances of My 2 brothers and I (all stable) getting custody in Ks. If they get taken away, I don't know what my stepmom would do, she just accepts things the way they are, but it would ruin any relationship w/ dad. Also, if we did get the kids, would dad/stepmom have to provide some kind of support? My husband and I have 2 kids w/ another on the way. I would love to have them, but couldn't afford 6 kids.

C

cirrus0306

I said he wasn't abusive to 1/2 siblings, he was abusive to us. Although I know my dad and just because they don't get beat on a regular basis doesn't mean he is a good father to them. He was taking my bro for a total of $500/mo, my bro was still in high school. I could understand if he was out of school and needed to be taught responsibility. oh, and as far as my mom is concerned, no, its not outrage on her part. She knew my stepfather was molesting me for over 2 years and she never did anything about it. I don't do anything on her behalf.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

Well that just shot my theory all to hell. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">