• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter has problems at Dad's.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

despedina

I'm in Missouri.

I was divorced in April 2001 in St. Louis county. My ex's family have always made things difficult but usually just with me which I could handle. My ex gets my daughter 6 weeks out of the summer, usually in 14 day increments (standard Mo visitation).

Last summer she was watched by her uncle while her dad was at work. (Uncle was 23 at the time). He got angry with her during the last 2 wks of the summer, and grabbed her and dropped her on her head on a kitchen chair out of anger. SHe claimed she told her g-grandma (which is where the uncle was living and where my daughter goes when her dad is at work) but ggma did not believe her.

I did not know about this until I picked her up after this period, (they tipically do not let her use the phone, even though she is 7 and able) and she became hysterical while telling me and would not sleep that night. I called her dad, who told me she was a liar, before calling DFS, my lawyer, and when DFS only "suggested" she stay away from her uncle, my lawyer and I went to the county courthouse to get an ex-parte order of protection.

That was granted, and a month later at the hearing 6 months restraining order against the uncle was granted which ended in March. Again, my ex's family did not believe my daughter, and told her the whole time that she was ruining the family, and made her hug her uncle when the RO was up.

This summer, she is constantly around this uncle, who still lives with my ex's g-ma, which is where my daughter is "baby-sat".

Can I do anything about this? And is the verbal abuse she gets from her dad's family anything I can do anything about?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted everyone to understand. I want to make sure I do everything I can to protect my daughter, I would blame myself if she got hurt again :( .

LdiJ

despedina said:
I'm in Missouri.

I was divorced in April 2001 in St. Louis county. My ex's family have always made things difficult but usually just with me which I could handle. My ex gets my daughter 6 weeks out of the summer, usually in 14 day increments (standard Mo visitation).

Last summer she was watched by her uncle while her dad was at work. (Uncle was 23 at the time). He got angry with her during the last 2 wks of the summer, and grabbed her and dropped her on her head on a kitchen chair out of anger. SHe claimed she told her g-grandma (which is where the uncle was living and where my daughter goes when her dad is at work) but ggma did not believe her.

I did not know about this until I picked her up after this period, (they tipically do not let her use the phone, even though she is 7 and able) and she became hysterical while telling me and would not sleep that night. I called her dad, who told me she was a liar, before calling DFS, my lawyer, and when DFS only "suggested" she stay away from her uncle, my lawyer and I went to the county courthouse to get an ex-parte order of protection.

That was granted, and a month later at the hearing 6 months restraining order against the uncle was granted which ended in March. Again, my ex's family did not believe my daughter, and told her the whole time that she was ruining the family, and made her hug her uncle when the RO was up.

This summer, she is constantly around this uncle, who still lives with my ex's g-ma, which is where my daughter is "baby-sat".

Can I do anything about this? And is the verbal abuse she gets from her dad's family anything I can do anything about?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted everyone to understand. I want to make sure I do everything I can to protect my daughter, I would blame myself if she got hurt again :( .
I am not sure that there is anything that you can do. You could try taking it back to court and getting the judge to order that the uncle cannot be round the child....but there is no way to predict whether or not the judge would agree to order that.

despedina

That is kind of what I thought.....

Our judge is not very sympathetic to anything, and I would hate to pay my lawyer so much money for a "no".

THis judge has told me before that he "can't solve all my problems" when I brought up issues of verbal abuse by his family.... I'm sure he would do the same for this.

Also, I've moved from st. louis county to jefferson county since the divorce. If I needed to go back again, could I get a change of venue and proceed in Jefferson County? My ex has always lived in Jefferson county, but since I filed in STL county and my daughter was with me, that is where the divorce was.

THat would solve the judge issue....he seems to have a problem with women since he himself went through a very messy divorce...

I'm not sure there is anything you can do. But maybe you can "prepare" your daughter. By that I mean, teach her to ignore the verbal abuse. Words are just words. Her inner strength can come from your side. As far as any "incidents" going on over there, make sure she knows the number for 911. If she falls again or gets hurt in any way and no one will listen to her, tell her to call 911. Someone will have to listen to her then.

LdiJ

despedina said:
That is kind of what I thought.....

Our judge is not very sympathetic to anything, and I would hate to pay my lawyer so much money for a "no".

THis judge has told me before that he "can't solve all my problems" when I brought up issues of verbal abuse by his family.... I'm sure he would do the same for this.

Also, I've moved from st. louis county to jefferson county since the divorce. If I needed to go back again, could I get a change of venue and proceed in Jefferson County? My ex has always lived in Jefferson county, but since I filed in STL county and my daughter was with me, that is where the divorce was.

THat would solve the judge issue....he seems to have a problem with women since he himself went through a very messy divorce...
If you both now live in Jefferson county, then it would be perfectly proper to change the venue to Jefferson county.

Telephone calls

Sorry, just thought of something else. If it's not in your present order, I would go back to court and make it MANDATORY for some telephone contact with your daughter. Whether it be every day or every other day or whatever. One, it gives you an opportunity to also do "damage control" from any of the negative things they infringe upon her during her stay. And two, it allows your daughter to still feel "connected" to you for the six weeks she is away. In addition, if telephone contact is in the order and her father fails to uphold the order, you have a leg to stand on with regard to filing for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">