• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughters medical bills...father won't pay his portion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kidsneedjustice

CA: Per court order, my daughters dad owe me his portion of medical bills of what our daughter obtain prior to signing over his rights. He have paid me on a few occasions. He now decides he isn't going to pay his portions because he claims I haven't given him copies and/or breakdown of what he owes, from what doctor and why. I've given and made copies of the doctors bills, hospital bills in which I was nice enough to do a breakdown for him. I have included a folder indicating our daughters copies of bills.

I called my lawyers office a few times last week and left with the secretary with a few questions regarding the issues he have handled. I called this morning to do a follow up on a response, the secretary mentioned Mr. "jones" is no longer my lawyer, he can't help. What a hellvah way to start a day. I am devasted. I don't want to go through the court system again.

A friend of mine suggested by the secretary making that statement, is my lawyer now my daughter's dad lawyer? Is this legal? Isn't this a conflict of interests? I never thought about that until she'd mentioned it.

How do I go about this?What is the name of your state : California(only U.S. law)?

OhReally?

CA: Per court order, my daughters dad owe me his portion of medical bills of what our daughter obtain prior to signing over his rights. He have paid me on a few occasions. He now decides he isn't going to pay his portions because he claims I haven't given him copies and/or breakdown of what he owes, from what doctor and why. I've given and made copies of the doctors bills, hospital bills in which I was nice enough to do a breakdown for him. I have included a folder indicating our daughters copies of bills.
Did this "breakdown" include a copy of what insurance had already applied to the balance, in addition to what you've paid? Does the order specify a time period he is to pay it? Did you send him HIS balance due in a timely manner? If you've done all of this, then you will need to file a Motion to Show Cause or take it to small claims court.

I called my lawyers office a few times last week and left with the secretary with a few questions regarding the issues he have handled. I called this morning to do a follow up on a response, the secretary mentioned Mr. "jones" is no longer my lawyer, he can't help. What a hellvah way to start a day. I am devasted. I don't want to go through the court system again.

A friend of mine suggested by the secretary making that statement, is my lawyer now my daughter's dad lawyer? Is this legal? Isn't this a conflict of interests? I never thought about that until she'd mentioned it.
Do you think the lawyer is on a "forever" retainer? Once your case is done, so is your professional relationship with the lawyer. The secretary is right...he is no longer "your lawyer." You and your friend can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want, but if you need the services of this attorney again, then pay the retainer.

casa

Is his portion 50%? Did you provide the Dr's office with a copy of the Court Order so that after you pay your %, they can bill Dad for the balance?

That's typical. Your case is over, so he no longer represents you. You'll have to pay him another retainer if you want to take another part of your case to court.

How do I go about this?What is the name of your state : California(only U.S. law)?
No, it doesn't mean he represents your daughter's Dad. It just means he's done with your case. If you want to re-open it or file additional filings, you'll have to pay him for those services.

kidsneedjustice

Did this "breakdown" include a copy of what insurance had already applied to the balance, in addition to what you've paid? Does the order specify a time period he is to pay it? Did you send him HIS balance due in a timely manner? If you've done all of this, then you will need to file a Motion to Show Cause or take it to small claims court.

Do you think the lawyer is on a "forever" retainer? Once your case is done, so is your professional relationship with the lawyer. The secretary is right...he is no longer "your lawyer." You and your friend can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want, but if you need the services of this attorney again, then pay the retainer.
Thanks for your smart azz comments. Do you think I like being in court and like going through situations like this? We are not coming up with "conspiracy theories" so you can think all you want. These are things that may be a possibililty.

haiku

thats only a real possibility if you believe people have neato bridges to sell cheap, and the moon is made of green cheese too!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for your smart azz comments. Do you think I like being in court and like going through situations like this? We are not coming up with "conspiracy theories" so you can think all you want. These are things that may be a possibililty.
Your former attorney is NOT your ex's attorney. You need to retain him again if you want him as your attorney. Why should he work for free? And if you are calling and asking him legal questions, that is working for free. Why should he be nice like that? Why should he basically take money out of his pocket to help you? You don't work for free now do you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">