• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DCF questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wickerhart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My niece and nephew were taken away from my sister-in-law and they were placed with us October 28, 2011. My brother-in-law had choked my nephew and the school had called DCF. The case has since been closed. My sister-in-law was unable to complete her case plan in time and my brother-in-law is now in prison. My sister-in-law had stayed with her husband for about a year until he went to prison. He abused her as well but she felt like she couldn't leave him because she had no where to go. She is now doing a thousand times better. Shes in the process of divorce and trying to do the case plan but the judge refused to reopen the case. Shes a good mom but she just got involved with the wrong person... I want to help her get her kids back. It would be in the best interest of everyone.... Me and my husband just had a baby and we are trying to establish our family. . our financial situation isnt adequate enough to accommodate us. She is with someone who loves the kids so much. what can i do to convince the judge to reopen the case?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My niece and nephew were taken away from my sister-in-law and they were placed with us October 28, 2011. My brother-in-law had choked my nephew and the school had called DCF. The case has since been closed. My sister-in-law was unable to complete her case plan in time and my brother-in-law is now in prison. My sister-in-law had stayed with her husband for about a year until he went to prison. He abused her as well but she felt like she couldn't leave him because she had no where to go. She is now doing a thousand times better. Shes in the process of divorce and trying to do the case plan but the judge refused to reopen the case. Shes a good mom but she just got involved with the wrong person... I want to help her get her kids back. It would be in the best interest of everyone.... Me and my husband just had a baby and we are trying to establish our family. . our financial situation isnt adequate enough to accommodate us. She is with someone who loves the kids so much. what can i do to convince the judge to reopen the case?
Nothing. When you got custody of the children you agreed that they should be part of YOUR family. Your sister made a horrible decision and chose her husband over her chidlren. She is NOT a good mom. She is a mother who allowed her children to be endangered and physically abused and then, even after they were removed, stood by her abusive husband and chose the abuser over her children. Granted mom could sue you for custody of her children which would reopen the case. And if your financial situation needs help, sue mom for child support.

Antigone*

If you feel you cannot care for these children it is your duty to call DCF and inform them.

I cannot believe that you are advocating the returning of these children to a woman who is so unstable and unfit that she would choose an abusive man over the safety of her kids. The fact that she has already entered into another relationship with another man is further evidence of her instability.

LdiJ

Nothing. When you got custody of the children you agreed that they should be part of YOUR family. Your sister made a horrible decision and chose her husband over her chidlren. She is NOT a good mom. She is a mother who allowed her children to be endangered and physically abused and then, even after they were removed, stood by her abusive husband and chose the abuser over her children. Granted mom could sue you for custody of her children which would reopen the case. And if your financial situation needs help, sue mom for child support.
That's assuming that mom's parental rights were not terminated. The fact that she didn't finish her case plan may mean that they were.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">