Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    LsPilot82 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60

    DCF wants a drug screen from me!!!

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Polk County Florida.
    Hey thanks for taking the time to look through my thread and answering a couple questions I have. Recently my girlfriends sister had DCF called on them for drug use. Since they had a 5 year old in the house, her sister and girls grandmother both had to go to the courthouse for a drug screen. Well since the drug screen came back positive, dcf put her in the custody of us. Actually my girlfriend. We'll have custody for 6-9 months or until the mother completes the steps that dcf wants her to complete to get her kid back.

    Fast Forward to 5 min ago. I received a call from the case worker telling me that both me and my gf are going to have to go tomorrow and get drug screened. I asked her why all of a sudden we were required to do that, and she said because I said so and thats the conditions. I explained to her that I have never touched a drug in my life and it seemed like she didnt even believe me. Anyway I feel kinda insulted. She then goes on to say this case has nothing to do with me since the child will be in the custody of my gf. I said, since you want me to take a drug test it does have something to do with me. Prior to our argument I informed her that I have to work tomorrow. And told her I just started my new job yesterday, and there is no way I can come in. But I could come in 1st thing Thursday. She said that would not be a option. That If both me and my gf were not in there tomorrow, then the child would be removed. So what can I do about this. There is no court order for a drug test. And she just popped this on me today. Its not like she told me last week to be in on the 1st. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. #2
    sometwo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,323
    DCF has a duty to make sure the child is put in a safe environment.

    Take the drug test or your girlfriend will lose the child . (or you can leave the girlfriend that is an option also then you won't have to do anything) It was explained to you by the caseworker. Simple as that.

    They are the ones in control of placement of the child right now.

    If it were your child you would want them to make sure the caretakers are more than capable and wouldn't want them to just "take their word for it"
  3. #3
    LsPilot82 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sometwo View Post
    DCF has a duty to make sure the child is put in a safe environment.

    Take the drug test or your girlfriend will lose the child . It was explained to you by the caseworker. Simple as that.

    They are the ones in control of placement of the child right now.

    If it were your child you would want them to make sure the caretakers are more than capable and wouldn't want them to just "take their word for it"
    Has nothing to do about taking anyones word for it. The thing was it wasn't explained to anyone of use 2 weeks ago when all this happened. It was told to me 20 min ago to show up tomorrow or else. I have to work. New job...tomorrow is my 3rd day. And we are leaving at 6am to drive 70 miles away to do a job. I explained that I can not come tomorrow, but I will be available thursday. Thats the problem. I dont see how one day is going to affect anything.
  4. #4
    Some Random Guy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,897
    That If both me and my gf were not in there tomorrow, then the child would be removed
    Any advice will be appreciated
    Well now you surely realize that you are dealing with the neighborhood bully. She knows that she has power over you and that if you don't like being pushed around then she'll snatch the child away. You just don't have the time to get a lawyer involved to make this situation any easier.

    Yes it is aggravating, but its the way things are. Your choices are

    1. Go get a drug screen, keep the child and try to salvage your job
    2. Skip the drug screen and lose the child
    3. Get the drug screen, keep the child, complain to her supervisor and realize that it will do no good other than to antagonize her.


    DCF does not operate based on what is fair to you. They operate based on what they think is in the best needs of the child.
  5. #5
    sometwo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,323
    The thing was it wasn't explained to anyone of use 2 weeks ago when all this happened. It was told to me 20 min ago to show up tomorrow or else
    Most people don't get a notice that DFS wants a drug screen.

    It is about the child not you.
  6. #6
    LsPilot82 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
    Well now you surely realize that you are dealing with the neighborhood bully. She knows that she has power over you and that if you don't like being pushed around then she'll snatch the child away. You just don't have the time to get a lawyer involved to make this situation any easier.

    Yes it is aggravating, but its the way things are. Your choices are

    1. Go get a drug screen, keep the child and try to salvage your job
    2. Skip the drug screen and lose the child
    3. Get the drug screen, keep the child, complain to her supervisor and realize that it will do no good other than to antagonize her.


    DCF does not operate based on what is fair to you. They operate based on what they think is in the best needs of the child.
    I already contacted my lawyer I have on retainer. Waiting to hear back from him hopefully today. I really dont see how they can make me do it givin there is no court order. I cant just skip what has to be done tomorrow. Im into land surveying and we have to finish this job so they can close on the property. Millions of dollars are on hold awaiting us. And the deadline is thursday. So that means we have to go do the survey and also draft it and have it delivered by thursday afternoon.
  7. #7
    LsPilot82 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sometwo View Post
    Most people don't get a notice that DFS wants a drug screen.

    It is about the child not you.
    Ya well Florida DCF has alot of their own issues they need to iron out. I understand its about the child. Its about time thats their policy. She couldve been nicer about it.
  8. #8
    sometwo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,323
    I really dont see how they can make me do it givin there is no court order
    they can't make you

    They can take the child away however.
  9. #9
    MichaCA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,185
    DCF doesn't need a court order. They have their own hoops that if requested, are requirements to jump through. Is there anyway you can explain the situation to your supervisor, go in 1st thing in the morning for the drug test, and then go to your job?
  10. #10
    LsPilot82 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sometwo View Post
    they can't make you

    They can take the child away however.
    They can take her away for no reason is what your saying. We provide a safe home. If we didnt then they wouldnt have allowed her to come here to begin with. I'm sure I have some kind of rights here. All im asking for is a extra day.
  11. #11
    LsPilot82 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaCA View Post
    DCF doesn't need a court order. They have their own hoops that if requested, are requirements to jump through. Is there anyway you can explain the situation to your supervisor, go in 1st thing in the morning for the drug test, and then go to your job?
    We are headed out at 6am tomorrow morning to get started on it before the construction guys get out there. I dont see how that will work since we will be driving close to 70 miles away to work. Like I said this is a time sensitive job. Its not like my gf cant go in tomorrow though. I just need to go in thursday for the test and not tomorrow.
  12. #12
    callie212 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    60
    Maybe you can go in today if there's enough time. Or what about tomorrow when you're done?

    If not, you probably are going to loose the child.
  13. #13
    LsPilot82 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by callie212 View Post
    Maybe you can go in today if there's enough time. Or what about tomorrow when you're done?

    If not, you probably are going to loose the child.
    There has to be some kind of rights regarding this situation. Does this not fall under illegal search and seizure. Sounds like a dumb question, but they will be seazing my urine...lol. I'm one who doesnt like authority and being told what to do. And i dont like my rights...if i have any...to be violated what so ever. Thats the problem with most people nowadays. They just give into their government and have their rights snatched away. Again. I cannot go tomorrow, but can go 1st thing thursday. Is there anyone on here that knows a little bit more about situations like these?
  14. #14
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    52,948
    Quote Originally Posted by LsPilot82 View Post
    There has to be some kind of rights regarding this situation. Does this not fall under illegal search and seizure. Sounds like a dumb question, but they will be seazing my urine...lol. I'm one who doesnt like authority and being told what to do. And i dont like my rights...if i have any...to be violated what so ever. Thats the problem with most people nowadays. They just give into their government and have their rights snatched away. Again. I cannot go tomorrow, but can go 1st thing thursday. Is there anyone on here that knows a little bit more about situations like these?
    No it is not illegal. You don't have to give them your urine. But you have no legal right to the child. The child is placed at their discretion. You have a choice. If you want placement of the child to remain in your home, you are consenting to live by their rules. If you don't, then the child can be removed.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
  15. #15
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750

    Can vs will

    Skip the test till thursday

    The DCF lady is bluffing

    BTW you are going to lose the kid anyway as soon as mom gets well

    They are not going to take the kid into an unsafe environment, whether you pee or not.

    They are not going to keep the kid from mom even if you are clean.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. drug screen
    By lovinglife41 in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
  2. Drug screen for employment
    By db1234 in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
  3. MI Employment Drug Screen
    By ninelivez in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 08:35 AM
  4. Drug screen rights
    By danisem in forum Medical and Health Care Malpractice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 04:26 PM
  5. CO-pre-employment drug screen
    By Ariella in forum Hiring, Firing & Wrongful Termination
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2001, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.