• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead Beat Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindy_b

What is the name of your state? Indiana
What can you do when your childs father refuses to pay support or comply with visitation?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
lindy_b said:
Indiana
My daughters father is in jail and never sees her and is willing to sign off his rights because he could care less, but I still have to be remarried?
Hmmm.... where do you expect him to get money when he's in jail? And... do you take the kid to see her father since he can't come to see her? Thought not.

lindy_b

forgot some info

Indiana
Guess I left out some helpful info, sorry. Her dad is on work release with two jobs so he has plenty of money to pay support. Secondly, he gets passes to get out and he still doesn't come see her. Before he went to jail he wasn't paying support or visiting her. i also offered to take her to see him and he refused

Last edited:

natalie38

I dont think you should reply to her thread if your not going to help her. This site isnt about critizing people its about offering advice.

AHA

natalie38 said:
This site isnt about critizing people its about offering advice.
Which is impossible without all the facts. Is any advice better than applicable advice?

Zephyr

AHA said:
Which is impossible without all the facts. Is any advice better than applicable advice?
you mean advice should actually relate to the situation at hand??? :eek:

what a novel concept :rolleyes:

AHA

Zephyr said:
you mean advice should actually relate to the situation at hand??? :eek:

what a novel concept :rolleyes:
:) Yeah, what idiot am I who thinks that relevant advice is better than bs that has no importance to the individuals problem. Then again, anyone who wants to believe what strangers on the internet tell them to do deserves what they get and shouldn't cry a river when it turns out it didn't help their case.

justalayman

lindy_b said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
What can you do when your childs father refuses to pay support or comply with visitation?
WARNING: this is not meant to be a judgemental question

Are you on state aid aka welfare or any other name anybody cares to use?
Actually you can leave this as a rhetorical question.

If you are the state is probably taking anything he is paying to reimburse the state for payments it makes to you.

If not contact the family court and ask them how to file for contempt of court for failing to abide by the support order or pay an attorney to do this for you.

See this website:http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/child/childlaws.htm

By the way, you can't force the child upon dad but you may be able to use this in the future should you wish to try to change visitation schedule

LdiJ

lindy_b said:
Indiana
Guess I left out some helpful info, sorry. Her dad is on work release with two jobs so he has plenty of money to pay support. Secondly, he gets passes to get out and he still doesn't come see her. Before he went to jail he wasn't paying support or visiting her. i also offered to take her to see him and he refused
Push your caseworker at the CS agency to get dad's wages garnished for child support. However, don't assume that he has plenty of money. Its likely that the state is taking a decent chunk of it for restitution and/or fines....and even for the costs of housing him.

Grace_Adler

Some states don't require support be paid during the months of incarceration. I don't know what IN laws are regarding this or if there are exceptions to work release, but it's something you should probably check into.

MrsK

And btw you cant force him to "comply" with visitation. Its not an obligation. He never has to see the child if he doesnt want to, and nothing you say or do can force him to come around.

LdiJ

MrsK said:
And btw you cant force him to "comply" with visitation. Its not an obligation. He never has to see the child if he doesnt want to, and nothing you say or do can force him to come around.
HOWEVER...in Indiana child support is based very heavily on court ordered parenting time. Even just standard visitation can reduce a parent's child support significantly. Therefore, even though a parent can't be forced to utilize parenting time, they can lose those credits and their child support can be raised for not doing so.

B

betterthanher

natalie38 said:
I dont think you should reply to her thread if your not going to help her. This site isnt about critizing people its about offering advice.
And maybe you should drink a tall glass of SHUT THE HELL UP!!! This site isn't for people who are going to ask questions and leave vital pieces of information out so they can seek the answer THEY want to hear.

When people do that, they WILL get criticized. Get a clue, woman. :rolleyes:

lindy_b

thanks so much

:mad:
I wasn't trying to leave out information, I have never used this site before so I wasn't too sure what I was doing. I am not only trying to hear what I want to hear I want to do what is best for my daughter. And besides, the more info I give the more most people would probably agree that he should just leave her life for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">