• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of Both Parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

novelgirl

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Hypothetically, if both parents of two female minors (ages 6 and 14) die, and there are two adult siblings who both want custody (ages 20 - male and 25 -female) who does custody go to? Can the non-custodial sibling challenge the other for custody? And can they get visitation during the process?

BelizeBreeze

Hypothetically, if both parents of two female minors (ages 6 and 14) die, and there are two adult siblings who both want custody (ages 20 - male and 25 -female) who does custody go to? Can the non-custodial sibling challenge the other for custody? And can they get visitation during the process?
Either sibling or set of grandparents can file for custody. It will be up to the court to determine the best setting for each child.

novelgirl

Thanks for replying so quickly! :) Do you know who would get temporary custody (who they would live with in the meantime?) Court processes can take some time.

BelizeBreeze

Thanks for replying so quickly! :) Do you know who would get temporary custody (who they would live with in the meantime?) Court processes can take some time.
yes and yes. Both questions can be answered five minutes after the hearing is over. Otherwise, the FA crystal ball will have to be consulted.

novelgirl

:D I love the 'FA Crystal Ball' comment. LOL! What I meant to ask is this - if the parents die one night, what happens to the kids? Do they go to foster care to wait for the hearing? Or would one of the siblings be called to pick them up? I don't really know how long it takes to get a hearing, and where the kids would be placed until then.

ceara19

Why would one hypothesize about matters such as this?

Just Blue

:D I love the 'FA Crystal Ball' comment. LOL! What I meant to ask is this - if the parents die one night, what happens to the kids? Do they go to foster care to wait for the hearing? Or would one of the siblings be called to pick them up? I don't really know how long it takes to get a hearing, and where the kids would be placed until then.
Is this something that you see happening? Are the parents ill?

novelgirl

No, I'm actually doing some research for a novel I'm writing. The protagonist is the younger adult sibling, so I'm trying to find out realistically what he would have to do to get custody. I really appreciate any help!

BelizeBreeze

No, I'm actually doing some research for a novel I'm writing. The protagonist is the younger adult sibling, so I'm trying to find out realistically what he would have to do to get custody. I really appreciate any help!
If you had been honest from the beginning I would have helped you. Now you can pay a local attorney to review your notes.

Just Blue

This site is for people that have actual LEGAL issues. NOT for aspiring young authors to lazy to do there own research.

novelgirl

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I thought that putting 'hypothetically' would show that this wasn't a real scenario. Please accept my apologies, and thank you for your honest replies.

ceara19

If this is how you plan on doing your research, your career as a writer will be very short-lived.

novelgirl

Ouch. I really didn't mean to offend anyone here. I'm a stay at home mom with 3 small kids and limited time for research, so I just thought that this might be a starting point. Once again, I sincerely apologize.

BelizeBreeze

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I thought that putting 'hypothetically' would show that this wasn't a real scenario. Please accept my apologies, and thank you for your honest replies.
There is no way to answer your question because situations like this have many variables which would need to be answered. For example, if one party in this situation had applied for or received a standby guardianship from the court before the death, they would immediately receive the children upon the parent's demise.

If more than one party wished to have custody, then the court would hold hearings to determine who should receive custody based on background checks, home studys and a myriad of other factors.

and yes, if nothing has been accomplished beforehand, then the children would be placed in the custody of Child Protective Services for later placement.

You see why it's better to be honest upfront? We have enough people coming here for the answer they WANT to hear instead of the legally valid answer. Things like this only takes away from those who are honest and seeking genuine advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">