• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of a parent and surviving children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwambach55nsc

What is the name of your state? I am in S.C. but the children are in AZ.

Last week the mother of 4 of my grandchildren was killed in an automobile accident in Arizona. She was not married to my son, although she did use his last name, and all the children have his last name. Before she was killed, the state removed the children from her home and placed them with her aunt, without notifying my son or any of our family..Her mother had recently died also, leaving me as the only grandmother surviving. My question is do I have any legal right to the children..My son has been notified of the mothers death, but has contacted nobody in regards to the children....My question is do I have any legal rights to these children. And shouldnt we have been notified or at least when the child protective services heard from us, shouldnt they have offered the children to me?

BelizeBreeze

mwambach55nsc said:
What is the name of your state? I am in S.C. but the children are in AZ.

Last week the mother of 4 of my grandchildren was killed in an automobile accident in Arizona. She was not married to my son, although she did use his last name, and all the children have his last name. Before she was killed, the state removed the children from her home and placed them with her aunt, without notifying my son or any of our family..Her mother had recently died also, leaving me as the only grandmother surviving. My question is do I have any legal right to the children..My son has been notified of the mothers death, but has contacted nobody in regards to the children....My question is do I have any legal rights to these children. And shouldnt we have been notified or at least when the child protective services heard from us, shouldnt they have offered the children to me?
Simple answer is No.

Why doesn't your son want custody?

mommyto4

Arizona CPS will place locally if children are removed from a parent. If Aunt was local and you are not that would be why they received the children. Arizona is not a state for grandparents rights and since they are residents of Arizona you dont have a chance since your son is alive. Tell your son to shape up and be a father and file for custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">