+ Reply to Thread
    Homer2big is offline Member

"Dedicating" granddaughter without permission from mother

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

What legal avenues are available to block in-law's parents from "dedicating" our granddaughter into their religion even though our granddaughter has already been baptized as a Catholic by her mother/father?
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer2big View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

What legal avenues are available to block in-law's parents from "dedicating" our granddaughter into their religion even though our granddaughter has already been baptized as a Catholic by her mother/father?
    You have no legal say so.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    HCD3056 is offline Junior Member
    I know that if you contact the religous leader at the Chruch and explain the situation with your childs baptisim, and show the certificate that he/she probably will not do anything against your wishes. I also know, as a Catholic, that since your child has already been batptized that no matter what they choose to do, your child will always be recognized as Catholic to the Church.
    JacobJoel is offline Member

It won't matter

a baby 'dedication' is where the parents stand before their church and commit to raising their child in accordance w/the whatever religious doctrine those parents ascribe to, dedicating that child to their (the parents) belief system so that the belief system will (hopefully, prayerfully) be continued in that child's life.

the grandparents are not raising that child and their presenting the child to their congregation or whatever body of people they present it to will have no bearing on the parents choices or upbringing of the child.

it will be an exercise of futility in motion for anyone but the primary caregivers to 'dedicate' said child.

and all other answers are applicable as well.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HCD3056 View Post
    I know that if you contact the religous leader at the Chruch and explain the situation with your childs baptisim, and show the certificate that he/she probably will not do anything against your wishes. I also know, as a Catholic, that since your child has already been batptized that no matter what they choose to do, your child will always be recognized as Catholic to the Church.
    And that is NOT a legal answer and I highly doubt the Catholic church listens to GRANDPARENTS when there are parents who have the proper say so.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HCD3056 View Post
    It's not their child, HCD. Try reading more carefully in the future.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth2 View Post
    It's not their child, HCD. Try reading more carefully in the future.
    Ah...I see your point. It is one set of grandparents asking about blocking the other set of grandparents.

However, if the parents are in agreement with the set of grandparents who are posting, the answers remain the same.

If they are not, or they are waffling, then its a whole "nuther" story.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarren1980 View Post
    How silly is this.

Its okay for one set of grandparents to have the grandchild baptised but they dont want the others to dedicate because they dont think its okay.
    Well, they did say it was the parents who had the child baptized a Catholic.

How rediculous. Be glad this child is going to be raised as a child of God, by BOTH families I might add . If this is the least of your worries I think the parents are doing a pretty darn good job!
    I am not a church person myself, but I know that many people feel very strongly about their religions, so I can't necessarily agree that its ridiculous.

What it is however, is the parent's decision to make, not either set of the grandparents.
    ajkroy is offline Member
    Be glad this child is going to be raised as a child of God, by BOTH families I might add . If this is the least of your worries I think the parents are doing a pretty darn good job!

Not to be a stickler, but the OP didn't mention anything about the other church having anything to do with "God". Many different churches out there...
    wileybunch is offline Senior Member
    Its okay for one set of grandparents to have the grandchild baptised but they dont want the others to dedicate because they dont think its okay.

How rediculous. Be glad this child is going to be raised as a child of God, by BOTH families I might add . If this is the least of your worries I think the parents are doing a pretty darn good job!
    The g'parents didn't have the child baptized, the mother and father did. One set of g'parents is asking what can be done about the other set of g'parents planning to have the child "dedicated" in another church (presumably wanting to know what the child's parents can do about it). It is a big deal. It's overstepping and it's really mocking the church and the deity involved in the church that would be dedicating this child against the parents' wishes and advice has been given about having the parents contact the other church (if the parents even know what the other church is).

Other than that, I would say that any religious ordinance done in the name of {fill in the blank} that's done in a corrupt manner like this carries no weight in any event (unless the church itself is incredibly corrupt).

If the parents find out which church performs the ordinance, either before or after, they can make their position known (in writing) to the church and hope the church chooses to nullify what's going on.