• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

definition of Joint Custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cindywy

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

My papers state that ex and I have Joint Custody. They dont say Joint Legal Custody, Joint Physical Custody, or Joint Residentual Custody. Does this mean we have Joint Everything Custody?

C

cindywy

I found the answer....

It doesnt matter how long I search for information, a week, 2 weeks, or a month. After I post a question on this site, I find the answer with in about a day. (so should I post any future questions before I start looking for the information in order to find the answer sooner...?? LOL)

C

cindywy

Okay, sure thing. I am learning so much, I feel dang smart now. LOL Did you know that visitation and custody are two completely different issues? I have also found out my ex has been telling me stories, fairy tales actually.

Here ya go...

Custody: The legal right and responsibility awarded by the court for the care of a child

Joint Custody: The children live with the residential custodian and visit with the non-residential parent. Both parents have an equal say in major decisions affecting the children can only be made with notice and consent.

Sole Custody: The custodial parent has the power to make all decisions, including day-to-day decisions as well as major decisions, concerning the child(ren)'s health, education and welfare without notice to and consent from the non-custodial parent.

Physical Custody: The home/parent in which the child(ren) will primarily reside in/with.

M

momjm

What if is says joint legal & phyical custody like mine does?

S

smh33

Always share your 'info answers' as many others may have the same question.

You did get the 'main' three down but every state is different and custody can be assigned in a manner beyond the 3 options...such as joint legal, sole physical...primary & secondary w/ joint physical...or P & S w/ joint legal, sole physical,etc,etc....joint physical w/ a primary,secondary & sole legal...it really just becomes ridiculous.
If you read your state laws on custody or state where your case is handled...sometimes that is better than having a lawyer....and if you can keep up with all the rules, exceptions,changes,etc,etc...then you really should consider a career in family law,lol! Don't feel bad if you feel overwhelmed looking for 'the right' answers, just join the club. Always do your own research though...here you can get 'great' experiance advice, but don't assume it is concrete for sure information. Every state,case,lawyer and judge are different....there are few absolutes in custody. Good luck, knowledge is power....

haiku

momjm said:
Joint Custody: The children live with the residential custodian and visit with the non-residential parent. Both parents have an equal say in major decisions affecting the children can only be made with notice and consent.

Physical Custody: The home/parent in which the child(ren) will primarily reside in/with.(residential
custodian)

:)

C

cindywy

Originally posted by momjm

Please check your state laws, most have a section on "Legal Definitions"....

Okay, with that said, I would take Joint Legal & Joint Physical Custody to mean: Both parents share as equally as possible in the responsiblity of raising the child. Not only the expences, but the decisions pertaining to raising a healthy, nutured, well balanced child. That each parent should let the other know about school concerts or games, even parent teacher conferences. Health issues also, what meds the child is taking, the doseage etc. Also that each parent should try and share equal time with the child. I say equal, but that is almost impossible unless you plan on running around with a calculator and a stop watch until your child is an adult. You are all still a family, just so happens you dont all live in the same house anymore. Dont make situations more difficult then they have to be. The marriage failed.... so... make the divorce work.

S

smh33

BINGO!...on the last 2 sentences of your last post...except that rule of thumb should really apply to ALL parents not just the ones with joint legal and physical. It really all comes down to 'respect' and that means respect without regard to personal opinion, but just shear respect for the fact that the other person IS one of the two required to create a child...a parent. It should not require a court order for one parent to share time, information, consult,etc,etc with the other parent. The equal responsibility is shared by both parents before the court order, the parting of ways and should continue to be shared after a parting. If some say I do all the child care giving...how is that different than couples together where one parent does all the child care giving...many times Mom. Just because the adult partnership failed should not mean that one parent must concede parental input,authority or right. Sole custody should not support that the sole custodian should not have to share info of health,school events,conferences,etc,etc.....it should not mean one parent has the sole right to shut the other parent out. That is the problem with our custody system today...it supports this type of thinking,parenting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">