• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denial Of Access

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DVL0707

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Earlier this month my son implied that he had been, on several occasions, left alone at his home, and had been threatened by mom and moms boyfriend if he told the truth. After attempting to speak with his mother and maternal grandmother, whom both I've had a relatively neutral relationship (only concerning the care and visitation of my son), I received no answers. Concerned for my sons well being and level of supervision, I asked a friend to anonymously file a report with CPS. I would have done so myself, but was afraid i would be denied access to my son. (They suspected me anyway) The following day I spoke with a friend of a friend (also a mediator) and was advised that filing a petition for custody would be the next step to ensuring my sons safety. After filing the petition for custody, the county clerk suggested a petition for an order of protection might be a good step in the right direction. the order was granted, and she has been served. the order stated he or i will not be harassed, threatened coerced etc. and paraphrased with a [02]. As of Friday, April 18th, upon being served she (and family members) are refusing to answer phone calls and text messages, and denying me access to my child whom I have seen on a regular basis since his birth (ex. picking up from school one or more times a week and every other weekend visitations -- verbal agreement only) There are currently no court orders denying me access to my child, however his maternal grandmother works as a receptionist at the school, and i believe she will attempt to argue and deny me access anyway.

Should I file an Order to Show Cause and request our verbal agreement continue during this process? Can she technically/legally deny me access in such a way? Is there anything I can do, to assure, or even attempt, to see him, as i normally would have, this weekend? Our court date regarding the order of protection is on Friday, and she had previously agreed (verbally) that i could have him Thursday through Sunday, this week.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Earlier this month my son implied that he had been, on several occasions, left alone at his home, and had been threatened by mom and moms boyfriend if he told the truth. After attempting to speak with his mother and maternal grandmother, whom both I've had a relatively neutral relationship (only concerning the care and visitation of my son), I received no answers. Concerned for my sons well being and level of supervision, I asked a friend to anonymously file a report with CPS. I would have done so myself, but was afraid i would be denied access to my son. (They suspected me anyway) The following day I spoke with a friend of a friend (also a mediator) and was advised that filing a petition for custody would be the next step to ensuring my sons safety. After filing the petition for custody, the county clerk suggested a petition for an order of protection might be a good step in the right direction. the order was granted, and she has been served. the order stated he or i will not be harassed, threatened coerced etc. and paraphrased with a [02]. As of Friday, April 18th, upon being served she (and family members) are refusing to answer phone calls and text messages, and denying me access to my child whom I have seen on a regular basis since his birth (ex. picking up from school one or more times a week and every other weekend visitations -- verbal agreement only) There are currently no court orders denying me access to my child, however his maternal grandmother works as a receptionist at the school, and i believe she will attempt to argue and deny me access anyway.

Should I file an Order to Show Cause and request our verbal agreement continue during this process? Can she technically/legally deny me access in such a way? Is there anything I can do, to assure, or even attempt, to see him, as i normally would have, this weekend? Our court date regarding the order of protection is on Friday, and she had previously agreed (verbally) that i could have him Thursday through Sunday, this week.
How could you obtain an order of protection on behalf of a person for which you have no legal relationship?

Of course the mother of the child can deny access to a legal stranger.

DVL0707

He has stated moms boyfriend leaves him alone to "go to the store" or "do things". He also mentioned he was advised not to answer the door or use the stove at these times. He has also mentioned he does not like staying alone by himself, and it feels like a long time. He resides on the 11th story of a projects building that he says have no bars on the windows. Regardless of the amount of time he is being left alone, I don't believe a 5 year old, should ever, be left unsupervised for any amount of time. A house phone is also unavailable at all times in the apartment.

DVL0707

---the county clerk advised me to file the order of protection on his mom because the boyfriend might get upset and take it out on the child.

Zigner

---the county clerk advised me to file the order of protection on his mom because the boyfriend might get upset and take it out on the child.
This is why it is unwise to take legal advice from a clerk. I would suggest that you consult with an attorney in order to establish paternity, child support, etc.

DVL0707

You have official documentation (ie: a court order) stating that you are the father? I'm surprised that you didn't mention that.
sorry. im very new to all this, the first time I had ever been in a family court room was 3 days ago

Zigner

Ok, so paternity is established. That still doesn't mean you have any custody or visitation rights.

DVL0707

Ok, so paternity is established. That still doesn't mean you have any custody or visitation rights.
yes. but as its been explained to me, i shouldn't (cant?) be denied these rights either, without a court order stating otherwise, which is why I am confused on the matter of which step to take next

Proserpina

He has stated moms boyfriend leaves him alone to "go to the store" or "do things". He also mentioned he was advised not to answer the door or use the stove at these times. He has also mentioned he does not like staying alone by himself, and it feels like a long time. He resides on the 11th story of a projects building that he says have no bars on the windows. Regardless of the amount of time he is being left alone, I don't believe a 5 year old, should ever, be left unsupervised for any amount of time. A house phone is also unavailable at all times in the apartment.

The law does not agree with you. What, no parent has ever grabbed 5 minutes of sanity in the bathroom while the child is watching TV?

I can't imagine how you'll ever be able to convince a court to believe the words of a 5 year old....and I can see this working against you. Seriously - you called CPS for this?

The others are right, too - you can't take out a restraining order based on "what if".

Tread carefully, Dad. Filing for custody based on this is going to make one of you seem like a donkey's rear, and it's not Mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">