+ Reply to Thread
    mlc09 is offline Junior Member

Deployed Husband

My husband and I have sole custody of my stepson. My husbands ex has joint legal and visitation. My husband is being deployed overseas. Does we have to give temporary custody to his ex while he is deployed or will my stepson stay with me? Would it be different if my husband and I had full custody of my stepson? We live in Michigan.
    Last edited by mlc09; 05-24-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    gr8rn is offline Senior Member
    Please read the sticky at the top and edit your post accordingly. Thanks.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc09 View Post
    My husband and I have sole custody of my stepson. My husbands ex has joint legal and visitation. My husband is being deployed overseas. Does we have to give temporary custody to his ex while he is deployed or will my stepson stay with me? Would it be different if my husband and I had full custody of my stepson? We live in Michigan.
    You don't have any custody of the child at all, and if dad and mom have joint legal custody then your husband doesn't have sole custody either.

Full custody is the same as sole custody.

Yes, its quite likely that the child will go to his mother while your husband is deployed. Unless some sort of extraordinary situation exists, there is no reason why a child should spend a year or more with a stepparent when there is a parent available to care for them.
    CJane is offline Senior Member
    Your husband and the child's mother have joint custody of the child. YOU have the opportunity to share a home and your life with a child over whom you will never have legal care, custody or control.

Barring exceptional circumstances - of which you've mentioned none - or a court order that states otherwise, the child will need to be transferred to the temporary custody of his mother when Dad deploys.
    dannyt is offline Member

you are not mom

Quote Originally Posted by mlc09 View Post
    you are dad's wife not this child mother. you are a legal stranger. you have no rights here at all. the child goes to mom if dad deploys, and you need to make nice with mom if you want to see your stepson. end of story.