• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deployed Husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlc09

My husband and I have sole custody of my stepson. My husbands ex has joint legal and visitation. My husband is being deployed overseas. Does we have to give temporary custody to his ex while he is deployed or will my stepson stay with me? Would it be different if my husband and I had full custody of my stepson? We live in Michigan.

Last edited:

LdiJ

My husband and I have sole custody of my stepson. My husbands ex has joint legal and visitation. My husband is being deployed overseas. Does we have to give temporary custody to his ex while he is deployed or will my stepson stay with me? Would it be different if my husband and I had full custody of my stepson? We live in Michigan.
You don't have any custody of the child at all, and if dad and mom have joint legal custody then your husband doesn't have sole custody either.

Full custody is the same as sole custody.

Yes, its quite likely that the child will go to his mother while your husband is deployed. Unless some sort of extraordinary situation exists, there is no reason why a child should spend a year or more with a stepparent when there is a parent available to care for them.

CJane

Your husband and the child's mother have joint custody of the child. YOU have the opportunity to share a home and your life with a child over whom you will never have legal care, custody or control.

Barring exceptional circumstances - of which you've mentioned none - or a court order that states otherwise, the child will need to be transferred to the temporary custody of his mother when Dad deploys.

dannyt

you are not mom

you are dad's wife not this child mother. you are a legal stranger. you have no rights here at all. the child goes to mom if dad deploys, and you need to make nice with mom if you want to see your stepson. end of story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">