• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

djnancy

I am in a dispute over custody. The current order is 50%, they want it changed to 70%. I am opposed. So far there have not been any serious allegations such as: physical abuse, alcholism, neglect, or drug use.

I had a deposition that was requested by the other attorney. During the deposition I was asked if I was ever assulted. I said yes and subsequent questions revealed that it was not during a love relationship nor during the marriage. Nor do I have contact with the person. I was asked what happened. I said I didn't want to answer that question because it was over 20 years ago and it has no bearing on what is happening today. My lawyer also objected. Then I was asked if I was ever sexually abused by a parent. I froze and again said I didn't want to answer that. My lawyer also objected. The other lawyer said that he would call the judge. I let out a weeped yes and immediately asked for a break to compose myself. Now my question is 'was that way out of line for the other lawyer to ask that?' 'And who else could possibly see that deposition?' To me that is extremely personal and it could destroy some of my immediate family members. If it was out of line do I have any options? Are there certain things that are said during a marital relationship that cannot be repeated unless there is a serious threat to another human being? Also, should I ask the judge to see that tape to see what kind of level the other side is stooping to?

BTW, the Judge had already ruled against a child custody investigation because there was no basis for it. He did stipulate that if something serious came out of the hearing that is scheduled than he would rethink it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">