• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DFACS case blown out of proportion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplelife260

state? Georgia, gwinnett co

DFACS was called to my house by my fiance's astranged mother out of spite with allegations of drug abuse and alcohol abuse around my 1.5 year old son.

I do own my own house (im 25). I work 2 jobs and my fiance and our son (im not the biological father) live with me.
We dont pay for a babysitter because our schedules are worked out that we dont need one. She goes to school at night while i work during the day. One of us is always with the baby. He is very well taken care of and quite advanced for his age. No qualms whatsoever about his wellbeing.
Now, right before christmas of last year we got a call from DFACS stating the allegations and that they would have to come over. No problem.
2 people came over, sat down in the living room and never moved. The following visit was the lady that drug tested us.
I failed with a small amount of MJ and my fiance passed.
The following 4 visits were with a different person than the initial visit.
Not one single time, did anyone from DFACS look past my living room of my house which, mind you, the front door opens to the living room.
Nobody checked any other room, our room, the baby's room, the pantry, the fridge, none of it. The initial visit, the one gentleman said he was required to look at the baby in the nude to check for abuse but he only asked us to lift up his shirt. That's as far as it went. They've even made the comment that he was fat and seemed to be very well taken care of.

Then we get the news that i had failed and needed an "evaluation".
I went in for that, we cooperated the best we could the whole time.
Not once was I asked a single question about my child.
A week goes by and they've determined that i need drug rehab classes and i'll be footing the bill.

meanwhile i dont understand how taking a nice chunk of money out of my income that's already stretched is doing good for my child. and im starting to get a bit angry at this point.

the problem in a nut shell is that i feel that my failed test is irrelevant and that they should be more concerned with his living environment and his well being and his development.
They feel the failed test is the biggest factor and that because of it im a bad father, when thats simply an opinion plain and simple.

We've told them about our schedules and that there isnt much room for the classes and now a month goes by and we are summoned to court with a protection order basically stating im a drug user and an alcoholic and that I can have no unsupervised contact with the child until i start drug and alcohol classes. And ill still have to pay for them.
:mad:
anyone think there's a chance of getting out of this? or any avenues to take?

abstract99

You know... there are a lot of lotions on the market these days that have hemp seed oil in them.... my wife barely failed a drug test once in the military because of her tanning lotion. (no she did and does not smoke, it was actually the lotion) I also heard that popy sead muffins can make a test positive.

Zephyr

I know newguy, but every once in a while there is a perfect opportunity to be sarcastic, I wasn't strong enough to pass this one up
:rolleyes:

op- you should cooperate as much as you can, even though it sucks, this is not something you can really go around, you must go through it.

abstract99

LOL... I heard the poppy sead thing on the news. I guess htere was thgis guy that was on mandatory drug testing and he was asking a judge for it to stop because "he couldn't enjoy his morning muffin". Imagine that? P.S..... he lost.

simplelife260

no smoking around the baby.. coincidentally it was at a party about 2 weeks prior to the call. the baby was not with us.
no i dont still smoke
its not a regular thing
if they would have given us a second test they would have found that out.

:(

LdiJ

simplelife260 said:
state? Georgia, gwinnett co

DFACS was called to my house by my fiance's astranged mother out of spite with allegations of drug abuse and alcohol abuse around my 1.5 year old son.

I do own my own house (im 25). I work 2 jobs and my fiance and our son (im not the biological father) live with me.
We dont pay for a babysitter because our schedules are worked out that we dont need one. She goes to school at night while i work during the day. One of us is always with the baby. He is very well taken care of and quite advanced for his age. No qualms whatsoever about his wellbeing.
Now, right before christmas of last year we got a call from DFACS stating the allegations and that they would have to come over. No problem.
2 people came over, sat down in the living room and never moved. The following visit was the lady that drug tested us.
I failed with a small amount of MJ and my fiance passed.
The following 4 visits were with a different person than the initial visit.
Not one single time, did anyone from DFACS look past my living room of my house which, mind you, the front door opens to the living room.
Nobody checked any other room, our room, the baby's room, the pantry, the fridge, none of it. The initial visit, the one gentleman said he was required to look at the baby in the nude to check for abuse but he only asked us to lift up his shirt. That's as far as it went. They've even made the comment that he was fat and seemed to be very well taken care of.

Then we get the news that i had failed and needed an "evaluation".
I went in for that, we cooperated the best we could the whole time.
Not once was I asked a single question about my child.
A week goes by and they've determined that i need drug rehab classes and i'll be footing the bill.

meanwhile i dont understand how taking a nice chunk of money out of my income that's already stretched is doing good for my child. and im starting to get a bit angry at this point.

the problem in a nut shell is that i feel that my failed test is irrelevant and that they should be more concerned with his living environment and his well being and his development.
They feel the failed test is the biggest factor and that because of it im a bad father, when thats simply an opinion plain and simple.

We've told them about our schedules and that there isnt much room for the classes and now a month goes by and we are summoned to court with a protection order basically stating im a drug user and an alcoholic and that I can have no unsupervised contact with the child until i start drug and alcohol classes. And ill still have to pay for them.
:mad:
anyone think there's a chance of getting out of this? or any avenues to take?
You should have taken the classes in the first place. If you don't take them now your fiance may end up having to choose between keeping custody of her child and being with you. Please don't be foolish....just GET IT DONE.

simplelife260

LdiJ said:
You should have taken the classes in the first place. If you don't take them now your fiance may end up having to choose between keeping custody of her child and being with you. Please don't be foolish....just GET IT DONE.
i dont mind taking the classes if they'll pay for them.
but i cant afford an extra 400-1000 bucks a month

Zephyr

you should find out if they have some sort of sliding fee scale (income based) option for paying for the classes

LdiJ

simplelife260 said:
i dont mind taking the classes if they'll pay for them.
but i cant afford an extra 400-1000 bucks a month
Do you want to lose your son? Because that is what will happen if you don't do what they order. You could cause your fiance to lose your son as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">